Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Hyperextensions

Chevyboy02
Chevyboy02
United States
2009/03/24, 08:16 PM
Hey yall I'm new to this website....I just started yesterday, I made my workout plan last night. Anyways I have a question about an exercise called Hyperextensions. I've experienced lower back problems over the past few years periodically when I lift something too heavy. I'm just curious if this exercise is safe for someone with a history of back problems because the picture it shows for the exercise looks like it would put a lot of strain on the lower back area. Thanks in advance for any info...
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/25, 04:18 PM
I have the same problem as you do. I really abused my lower back in my early 20's and am paying for it now. I do hyper extensions, but I started off with no weight what so ever. I do them slowly, and really concentrate on good form. It's not one of those lifts where you just go balls to the walls on if you've had back problems.
But I guess to put it simply, I use them and it has helped to strengthen my lower back considerably.
Chevyboy02
Chevyboy02
United States
2009/03/26, 11:44 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm 20 right now, I'll be 21 this June but I messed my back up a few years ago and it just really had me worried to mess it up again cause it's been doin alright lately. Thanks for the advice though I'll definitely keep it in mind and try no weight or low weight and concentrate like you said.