Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Marathon training

Pebbles87
Pebbles87
United Kingdom
2009/03/05, 11:44 AM
I know this probably sounds crazy. But I have signed up for a marathon and have been too busy studying to train. It is 3 months till the marathon and I can only run 6 miles comfortably. Is there any chance of training up in time? If there is any chance I am willing to do anything? No matter how tough the schedule is. Is it possibe? I dn't want to let the charity down.
mberube2005
mberube2005
United States
2009/03/06, 10:12 AM
Its been a while since I've had to run for distance, but if I remember right there is nothing that says you have to run the whole 26 miles. Anyways! Have you thought about slowing your pace down? Or trying to lengthen your stride? Those two things will help you to expend less energy while you are running. These are all just ideas and things that I used to do when my old captain decided he wanted to run the battery into the ground.
Pebbles87
Pebbles87
United Kingdom
2009/03/06, 07:42 PM
Sounds good. I'll give it a go. Sorry, 1 more thing. My right shin feels like it is burning after about 10 mins of running and then usually about a mile into it it feels like it has released and then I can run for miles without feeling anything. I think I probably just pushed myself too hard at the beginning. How big a problem is this? I'm worried about not training considering it is only 3 months until the marathon. I know it is probably a stupid question but I just thought I'd ask. Maybe not stretching properly?, I am not sure. If that is it where can I get information on stretching to make sure I am doing it properly?
mberube2005
mberube2005
United States
2009/03/07, 06:59 PM
It kind of sounds like shin splints. (Its not as bad as you think!) I know that it was a fairly common thing for guys in the military who hadn't been running a whole lot. Just make sure you do good warm up and cool down stretching, and make sure to listen to your body. If it really starts to hurt, just walk for a while. Also, make sure that you are taking in enough water. Not just to keep from getting thirsty. It will help nutrients get to where they need to go and keep you on the go!

As for stretching, its kind of hard to explain in words. So I think with a bit of digging around, you might be able to find what you are looking for. I would probably be stretching the abs, quads, hams, and calves. Make sure you stretch before AND after. If not, you will pay the price with the soreness.

Either way, I don't think that there is any reason to lose hope. Just make sure that you are at least working towards your distance, whether it be walking or running. You will eventually get there I am certain. If you are truly wanting to do this thing for time, then I would suggest doing some wind sprints. They are not fun, and I certainly don't suggest doing them while you are dealing with shin splints either.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2009/04/15, 02:55 PM
You will want to have 2 weeks off so with 2.5 months/10 weeks my only recommendation would be to attempt a 10 miler for your first run since 6 miles is easy for you. From there you can step long runs every other week and bump it up by 2 miles to finish in at 20miles 2 weeks before the marathon. Just go easy during the weekly runs to let your legs recover nicely. good luck.
niafolla
niafolla
Canada
2010/01/30, 03:11 PM
I noticed when I started running I had lots of shin splints. I changed my stride because instead of landing on the front of my foot i now land in the middle nearing the heel, this has helped tremendously.

I changed my stride by
1. Slowing down the treadmill for a couple days
2. Shortening the distance in my stride
3. Focusing on posture

I was then able to use the better form to now comfortably run and slowly worked the pace back up so it was more comfortable.

It may not change everything but may help.
rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/01/31, 06:15 PM
I've run several marathons and ultra marathons. Training and listening to your body is really important. There are numerous training strategies out there, find the one that works for you.

There is a great book to keep you inspired about our natural abilities to run, "Born To Run". I have changed the way I think and feel about running and have become a better runner because of it.