Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Don't want to gain weight by shake

richluke
richluke
United Kingdom
2009/03/03, 08:03 PM
Hi.
I go to the gym regularly and my main aim is to burn off body fat. I am doing quite a lot of cardio (55 mins) about 60 percent of max heart rate. and a bit (but not much) weight training. I am warming up with 10 mins cardio then about 20 mins strength training to tone up and then back to cardio. I was told that it is good to keep the strength training so your body burns fat instead of muscle first. I feel like I need an intake of protein after a workout and the trainer said to not get anything over 150 cals per serving. i would be grateful if you could give me recommendations for what to get/avoid in a shake. the last thing i want to do after all the cardio is to be bulking myself up. or would it be better for me to just avoid shakes all together? Thank you
2009/03/03, 08:36 PM
No age, no profile can't help.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
richluke
richluke
United Kingdom
2009/03/04, 04:19 AM
I am sorry. I am new to this and I typed in my profile but it hasnt come up on the side. I am male. age 23 and weight 104 kg
2009/03/04, 11:28 AM
10/4, didn't mean to be harsh but it gets old answering questions in the dark. At your age if your work out is pretty intense ie... lifting heavy and with the cardio you're doing, a post workout shake is probably a good thing. You want to use a Whey protein mixed with water. Drink half of it immediately after working out and then sip the rest for 30 minutes or so.

I quit post workout shakes a few years back because they helped fatten me up at 55.

It's worth doing a little homework to find a whey product that has 30 grams of protein per serving and finding one with lower overall calories and cholesterol. I shot my cholesterol way up once using a crappy protein.

You also need to be aware that different protein affects people in different ways. Some may make you fart like a meat eating horse. Just try a few and see how they work.

The most important thing you can do is keep an honest track of what you eat including protein supplements. It adds up fast and calorie counting is vital.

A great late snack is cottage cheese. It is a very slow release protein which supplies you with protein as you sleep.Overall, I think healthy careful eating of whole foods beats supplementation every time.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
richluke
richluke
United Kingdom
2009/03/04, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your help charlie. appreciate it
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/03/06, 05:45 AM
Wow Charlie to think that a few years ago you would have asked this question!!!! And learning all this at YOUR age!!!

He is right on though.......

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KageanRage
KageanRage
Australia
2009/03/06, 10:09 AM
LOL Charlie, that line about the horse made me laugh... I've been loading up on fibre + protein over the past couple of weeks and I'm not sure which is the primary culprit but much to my girlfriend's dismay, I can relate to the horse.
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2009/03/06, 02:17 PM
Rich,

You might want to bear in mind that weight training also builds lean muscle mass which is very high maintainance from a metabolic point of view. In other words, more muscle increases the amount of calories you burn just sitting around which in turn contributes to your calorific deficit, which helps losing fat. Muscle is your friend against fat!

I use whey protein because I find it hard to eat the amount of protein I'm aiming for (250 - 300g per day). It's also very convenient.

Advice around calories above is good.

Hope that helps too.

Jon
2009/03/06, 07:02 PM
Bottom line is if you're gaining weight and dont want to or the opposite ,adjust your caloric intake by 200 to 250 calorie per day increments for a week at a time to change directions.

It takes accurate counting to get it right. Protein supplements are fine but beware they can fatten you up and whole food is almost always better. If you get EVERYTHIHG else perfect, supplements may make about a 3% difference so don't forget to get the other 97% right. It's more important. Eat Work Rest correctly... that's the other 97%

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie