Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

jgjdjr
jgjdjr
United States
2009/02/24, 09:58 PM
Hi, I am 51 year old male and am looking to gain some muscle and strength. I see all these hugh workouts and am interested in a simple program for strength and development. How many sets and reps, how often to train each part a week and best exercises for arms, shoulders and chest? I have a lot of arthritis in my neck so I am limited with putting pressure on neck (like bench press.
2009/02/24, 10:24 PM
Click on FT profile and inbox at the top of the page. Fill out the forms. When you get to the exercise programs check the "gain muscle and definition" option. Finish the set up. That will give you an exercise plan. You need to look into proper diet habits under the nutrition plan too. Welcome here.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
2009/02/24, 10:28 PM
It's also a lot easier for us to help you if you fill out your personal profile as well.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2009/03/01, 08:11 PM
The only way you can do some of those routines you see at age 50 and above is if you have already been training for years. If you are just beginning, be smart.

At 50 you are not going to gain alot of muscle mass no matter who tells you what. Testosterone levels are way off their peak for starters. You can expect to get firmer and healthier though, and obviously this will translate to a stronger body. But, you must remember your recouperative powers are not that of a 20 yr. old.

The best thing for you to do is to find this threshold, and workout accordingly. Anything too much will result in fatigue and counterproductive, and too little will yeild very frustrating results and probably make you quit.

Keep focused on the bigger picture, health. View your workouts as a cheap insurance policy.

Find 'work' around your arthritic issues. If you can't bench press, then try a seated chest press for instance.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2009/03/05, 06:22 PM
I don't know about building muscle at my age so I can't disagree with Ron. I know I couldn't do a chin up 4 years ago. Today, my routine included 3 sets of 10 neutral grip chins and 10,8.6 closed grip chins so strength gains are possible over 50.

I started walking in November doing 22 minute miles. I'd just never done it before. My mile time is in the low 14 minutes now.

Although I'll never be ripped like Ron, my abs show at 55 and never did EVER in my life. I don't guess I've packed on muscle but my physical abilities are far superior to what they were in my early 40s. I started using FT routines at 48.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie