Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Help! Leg Press issue!

gdgut
gdgut
United States
2009/02/23, 08:14 PM
I'm so weak with my leg press! I always see and here about these guys that aren't that much bigger than me that can press a ton more weight! My squat isn't that bad...why am I so weak at leg pressing? Is it something that will eventually catch up...or am I just screwed by my genetics?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/02/23, 09:05 PM
The Leg Press IMO is a POS movement and worthless.

It's has never really done anything but keep me weak.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1631

Knockum Down & Keepum Down!

Training @ Wild Iron

Squat 305
Deadlift 365
Bench 275
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/02/23, 11:04 PM
i would focus more on your squatting and not worry about the leg press. make sure your squatting is done free weight, not smith machine as well.

SFGiantsMVP, the leg press does have some uses as supplemental work. Tell Dave Tate it is a POS movement, and he just might kill you. That said, he obviously does not have goals of pure strength anymore.

However, it should not ever make up the majority of your training...
gdgut
gdgut
United States
2009/02/23, 11:41 PM
if the press is such a "POS" movement and it's "worthless", then why is it in almost every leg workout(even the ones on this site)as a staple movement along with squats? Also, I understand that free weight squat is the best for a number of reasons, but isn't it good to cycle in smith machine and hack squats? I can put on more weight and work to failure better with those because I don't have to worry about anything giving out during my sets.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/02/24, 12:46 AM
Leg Press has done nothing but keep me weak plain and simple.

I can Load plates on a Press, Sled and Plate Loaded Front but the Barbell Squat Free weight tells me different and has me humble.

Dave Tate makes me laugh with his videos like the breakfast one, fish oil syrup lol!

I said it's a POS and worthless too me IMO with given the fact it has done crap for me and my goals.

Smith Machines are the worst ever for Squats so don't go heavy on them.

Leg Press is not a staple movement in Powerlifting or Strength Training it's more a Bodybuilder machine go go to that forum if you don't like what I or others may think of that towel rack.

I never seen any Strength Training or Powerlifting template tell me to go do Leg Press!

Yes it's great too change lifts up so why not switch the Barbell Squat up with Box Squats, Deadlifts and Good Mornings?

Aslo the use of Bands and Chains really help mix things up!

--------------

Training @ Wild Iron

Squat 305
Deadlift 365
Bench 275
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/02/24, 09:03 AM
gdgut, the reason it is in most templates readily available to you is that it is simply a much easier exercise. it requires little to no teaching.

i would rather see someone on the leg press than smith machine. THAT is a POS device. By squatting in a smith machine, not only are you most likely set up weird, but it does not allow the use of stabilization muscles required for squatting and/or regular activities.

the leg press and hack squat (more so the hack squat) have their place in any template. they should come AFTER your main squat or deadlift or whatever.

if you notice, most of the lifts performed on westside style templates after the ME/DE movement are "bodybuilding" style with more emphasis on building size. with a leg press and/or hack squat, you are able to "target" your quads more dependent upon foot position.

having said that, again, the squat is more superior. i rarely use the leg press but when i do it does mess up my quads pretty badly..
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/02/24, 03:25 PM
The leg press is a useful exercise, even in a powerlifting template. The fact that you haven't seen it in any powerlifting templates doesn't mean much, seeing as you've only been in this sport for a couple months. Lots of routines and templates utilize it. From WSB and WS4SB, Ed Coan routines all the way to Sheiko.

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:
Yes it's great too change lifts up so why not switch the Barbell Squat up with Box Squats, Deadlifts and Good Mornings?
=============
It is an excellent movement for bringing up quad strength without adding more spinal loading and extra stress on the lower back. Besides that, you are comparing a quad exercise to 3 posterior chain exercises. If my quads are weak, I'm sure as shit not gunna try to bring them up with good mornings.

That said, it is not something that is necessary to be strong or to get stronger. Our gym doesn't have a leg press or a cable stack of any kind, and we have 1 1000+ squatter, 3 over 800, and 5 guys at or under 198 squatting 400+ completely raw. None of us got where we are because of the leg press or smith machine. At the same time, many powerlifters have successfully used the leg press to bring up leg strength. Just because one group does one thing, doesn't mean something else won't work for another group.

I don't, however, like the smith machine for squats because of the stress it places on the patella.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/02/24, 03:56 PM
i dont like squats in the smith ethire
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/02/24, 04:21 PM
damnt wrestler.. everything i was trying to say you said a lot better...
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/02/24, 05:43 PM

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

The leg press is a useful exercise, even in a powerlifting template. The fact that you haven't seen it in any powerlifting templates doesn't mean much, seeing as you've only been in this sport for a couple months. Lots of routines and templates utilize it. From WSB and WS4SB, Ed Coan routines all the way to Sheiko.

=============

Very well spoken and true thanks for opening up my eyes a bit!

--------------

Training @ Wild Iron

Squat 305
Deadlift 365
Bench 275
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/02/24, 07:36 PM
I like to leg press at the end of some of my workouts for metabolic work. It's useful to a point. I also like going heavy on leg press when my back doesn't feel like squatting or deadlifting. We have nice Pendulum brand leg presses that are pretty freaking sweet.
gdgut
gdgut
United States
2009/02/24, 10:59 PM
thanks for the tip guys! sounds like if i want to have stronger legs...i should do what i already knew...SQUAT!!!!!!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/02/25, 03:03 PM
Well if you want a big leg press....squat. Everyone I know that can squat alot...can leg press alot. A 300lb squatter could prolly do reps of 600 or more fairly easily.

But the same isn't true in reverse.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"