Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

light day vs. heavy day

lcmadama
lcmadama
United States
2009/02/17, 07:20 PM
Hello,
I've been following FT's fitness plan for a couple of weeks now for strength and muscle gain. I was in the gym today and overhead a trainer say "heavy day" Should I be implementing a "heavy day" into my routine or just keeping following the FT fitness plan. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is I started at a comfortable weight so that I can complete reps. I'm gradually increases weight weekly and still able to complete the reps. Am I on the right track or should I take a week and train heavy for each muscle group. And then go back to the schedule and do a heavy week every so often.
lcmadama
lcmadama
United States
2009/02/17, 08:21 PM
Also, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few things that I'm trying to figure out. First off, I'm a 31 year old female and a police officer. I weigh about 145 lbs and am about 5'7. I just recently started back at the gym. I found this site and set up a fitness plan for muscle gain and strength. At this point I'm interested in losing some fat around my waiste and upper thighs. I not in any means fat but I would like to look a little better. I want to loose the excess fat but not lose muscle. I've been following the fitness plan for about 2-3 weeks and already starting to see a little difference in size and strength so I'm not what to do. On my rest days (2 days a week) I do some cardio and ab work. My diet consists of alot of fruit and vegetables. I've cut back on the bad carbs(bagels,etc) and increased protein by eating chicken, tuna. I have a protein shake on lift days. I'm not a red meat person. Unfortunately because of my work schedule its hard for me to intake the amount of calories i need. I know training takes along time to see real results. I guess I'm trying to see if i need to make any corrections before I'm wasting my time doing the wrong thing. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/02/25, 11:28 AM
The muscle and strength gain routine is for just that. Usually you'll be taking in a lot of calories to help facilitate muscle growth, but inevitably this will also increase your body fat. If you want to see big gains in either tone or muscle mass, you need to eat specifically for each goal. Unfortunately this is one of those situations where you can't have your cake and eat it too.
It's very good integrate heavier lifting days into your program, even if it's for weight loss and tone. It'll help you keep your muscle mass and strength up while on the reduced calorie diet that accompanies those types of programs.