Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

strange times

2009/01/31, 01:52 PM
Usually at this time of year there is a surge in visitors to the sight. I'm sure it's the new year resolution thing. It usually levels out in late February or early March. It seems that the swell has subsided already. It's a shame because the economic times are stressful. I may be odd but ears of training helps me reduce stress and keep my head on straight.

Don't misunderstand, I'm angry at what is going on and concerned about our financial future but I'd be much angrier if I didn't have this outlet. When I leave the gym or the track I'm just not thinking about anything but how much better I feel for what I've just done.

Fitness is awful cheap mental health. We pay $15 a month to use a county gym that has everything from skateboard ramps to tennis courts, a mile track, weight room, playground stuff to classes on damn near everything.

I know the private gyms are giving away memberships just to try and stay in business. I bought workout cloths at Sams for next to nothing. I've never worn nice sweats and other stuff like that but a set of lined waterproof sweats were $18 and shirts were $5 or $6. They make good storm gear on the boat in addition to being comfortable in the gym.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry. My point is that if any of you new guys are wavering, try sticking around. There are mental benefits, physical benefits, financial benefits that you haven't even considered. At my age, not having to see a doctor pays really exciting dividends.

Stick to your resolution. It was a good idea at new years . It'll be the best idea you ever had 5 or 25 years from now.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/01/31, 07:59 PM
I heard the other day with the economic times such as they are, escape is what we are going to be looking for. Things to get our minds off money, etc.... fitness can be cheap (inexpensive) and it's a great way to cope with stress and other annoyances. :) Plus, the benefits outweigh the sweat.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2009/02/02, 08:44 AM
Yep, nothing like a good old workout to take your mind off of things.

I am looking to change gyms myself.

I like the kind of place where you are going Charlie. I have found that many of the large chain gyms simply bring in 'wannabees' that wear matching gym outfits, and the gyms have these trainers that have them doing the stupidest stuff.

Nice to vent a bit here. I have an old friend of mine, he and I started training together back 30 yrs. ago. Thank goodness we learned 'old school' and can just snicker now.

Anyway, sorry for 'stealing' the thread. Just a chance to vent.

Anyway, yes, great stress reliever the gym. And the dividends are outstanding. Very, very cheap insurance policy.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2009/02/02, 01:26 PM
Yeah Ron, the wannabees didn't even show up at this gym. Depending on the day, we see the same people. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy small town life but I do. Eventually we'll take some courses. I'm eyeballing the yoga offerings but I may be too big a pussy to do it. It looks really tough to me.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie