Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sit Up Troubles

hamadryad
hamadryad
Canada
2002/03/19, 01:56 AM
I just found out (aprox 5 minutes ago) that I can't even do one sit up. I'm trying to get into the army, and I don't have a problem in the cardio or push up department, and I'm most of the way in the other physical areas, but I can't pull off one damn sit - up.

Here's the way it's required (doing it another way is not an option)
Feet flat on the floor, knees up at a 90 degree angle, back on the floor. Hands over my ears with elbows up. Then push with my lower back into the ground while bringing myself up and touch my knees with my elbows. I can make it up about 2 thirds of the way, then I just can't get farther without my feet leaving the ground briefly or my arms going forwards a bit.

Anyone have any other excercices that will help strengthen my abs properly so that I can do the above sit ups? Something with the quickest results would be nice, and steroids aren't options easier. The biggest strain seems to be right below my ribs if that helps.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/19, 02:06 AM
Do normal crunches and not the "whole way up" sit ups. Crunches have also shown to be more efficient since you are contracting your abs constantly and not like the sit ups when the hip flexors are working and you are relaxing your abs when in the sit position.
Why not follow the FT ab program?

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
hamadryad
hamadryad
Canada
2002/03/19, 02:51 AM
it takes 12 weeks, anything faster?

thanks for the tips
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/19, 10:45 AM
In the armed forces, when you do sit ups, someone will usually hold your feet down while you do them! It was that way when I went through Marine Corps bootcamp. To practice, tuck your feet under the sofa or something weighted. Then, do as many sit ups you can once or twice per day. After about 2-3 weeks, you should be able to do more and more and pain isn't as bad as the first time. When you become more advanced, you can do inclined sit ups on a bench. After a while, you'll be able to do these without having something hold your feet down!

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**