Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

another abs question

JordanT0724
JordanT0724
United States
2008/12/06, 11:22 PM
I used to workout with this really strong guy, but he had a big round stomach. It was rock solid like the rest of him, but it wasn't flat and cut. Can anyone explain why this happened and more importantly how I.can avoid it. I'm trying to lose body fat, I'm not really looking to get any bigger.
DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2008/12/07, 04:14 AM
Well your diet is extremely important when it comes to getting "cut". But as for the guys stomach being rock solid and round, this could be due to the way he trains his abs. Meaning, he probably trains his abdominals with heavy weights. You should still train your abdominals, but perhaps just don't increase the resistance, or use none at all.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/07, 09:49 AM
Was he on any type of growth hormone?

Was the rest of his body lean and muscular or bulky? maybe he just didn't have low enough bodyfat to get rid of his potbelly? You can be very strong and still be heavy.

One thing I have seen is men who are fairly lean but not healthy - they can have fat in and around their organs but their abs are outside this and thier belly is hard and distended.That is actually more dangerous than fat that you can see/feel mushy on the outside of the abs.

Or maybe he has some other internal issues going on, IDK.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield