Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Oblique Training

evenbiggerdunk
evenbiggerdunk
Canada
2008/12/06, 02:59 PM
Am I right in thinking obliques are the ones down the side of your abdominal region? I've noticed people in the gym stanind with dumbells, then reaching down one leg with the dumbell, then standing up straight and bending over to the other side...if that makes any sense, is this is a good alternative to seated twists, lying side leg raises, etc?

Thank you

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/07, 09:44 AM
I don't think that exercise is worth much and working olbliques with weight could give you a thicker waistline...its debated.

Work you entire core with moves like med ball woodchoppers, planking, stomach vaccuums, active ab movements that teach your core to stabilize and recruit while transferring power. Start thinking of everything as an ab movement - tuck them in/strengthen them before you do a jump squat, before you bench, while you run or do cardio...I think that being aware of what they are supposed to be doing all day is moree effective than doing endless crunches, twists, etc.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield