Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

More dumbell exercises

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/26, 04:47 AM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the FT website has more dumbell exercises? Now I dont mean exercises like dumbell curls, dumbell squats etc etc. What I mean is exercises like the dumbell snatch which is very good compound exercise. Also dumbell clean and military press etc etc. I know these are not really mass builders but are very effective to boost ur metabolism because ur heart rate really gets going hard. I am planning to include these into my cardio routine. These exercises are compound movements and target ur buns, legs, hamstrings, calves, shoulders, arms etc.

Please guys if you know any good link for more of such kind of exercises kindly put in here and I will have a look.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/11/26, 12:15 PM
Almost anything that you can do with a barbell can be done with dumbbells in some fashion. And to that point can most can be done unilaterally as well.

Dumbbell overhead presses, overhead squats, rows, you mentinoed cleans and snatches, lunges, one legged dead lifts w/ a dumbbell...just to name a few.
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/26, 12:31 PM
hey thanks ecle5c

I know tht overhead presses, squats, rows r compound movements. However what I exactly meant was exercises like the snatch and clean. The difference tht I am trying to highlight is that when u do a snatch u have to bend ur knees and raise the dumbell above ur head. Hence u strain ur thighs and ur shoulders a lot. Also since u r doing with a dumbell say around 10-12 reps per hand then its a total of 24 reps for both hands. Therefore u r also doing a good cardio workout and immediately u could feel ur heart pounding. I am looking for more exercises which can be a good toning and cardio workout both. I am sorry if I am confusing u. But u will see that when u employ a personal trainer they make u do such exercises which uses a combination of upper and lower body movements which triggers fat loss.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/12/05, 12:58 PM
I'd be careful as a trainer having people do snatches and cleans if they don't know what they're doing.

At my gym I always see the trainers having people do dumbbell squats coupled with shoulder press, shoulder presses coupled with bicep curls, lunges coupled with laterl raises, they also have them do pretty much any strength exercise with a cario type move like burpees, pushups, jumping jacks.

Is that the kind of stuff you were looking for?