Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How much weight?

Snowyv21
Snowyv21
Canada
2009/06/18, 10:44 PM
So I'm fairly new to weight training and have no idea how to gauge how much I'm supposed to try and lift. I filled out the profile thing for a fitness plan with my goals/experience and such on this site and it gave me a plan to follow. I'm pretty new so I've got quite a few questions. Hopefully someone has the patience to bear with me and help me out here!

My problem is that I don't know how much weight to use. For example: the plan says to do 3 sets of 12, 10, and 8 leg presses, respectively. How do I know how much weight to do? A friend told me to figure out what my absolute max is for the 12 reps is (i.e. the 12th rep is JUST possible), and then do 80% of that. Is this correct?

My second question is that I noticed virtually all of the exercises the plan suggests I do involve a few sets with a sequentially decreasing # of reps.... what's the rationale for this?

My last question (for now, I promise =)) is: the suggested plan is given as Monday, Thurs, Sat. Does it really matter if I switch around from week to week between Mon/Thur/Sat and Mon/Wed/Fri or Mon/Wed/Sat? Since I work both a full time and a part time job that has a variable schedule, it's almost impossible for me to keep the exact same 3 days every week.

Thank you very much to whoever has the patience to read all this!
Snowyv21
Snowyv21
Canada
2009/06/19, 12:16 AM
err... could a moderator delete this please/ I'm reposting on a different board since I just noticed how inactive this board is =/
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/19, 08:30 AM
oh.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/19, 08:34 AM
Let's try to help anyway:

"How do I know how much weight to do? A friend told me to figure out what my absolute max is for the 12 reps is (i.e. the 12th rep is JUST possible), and then do 80% of that. Is this correct?"

-- since we don't know or can see you, it's hard to tell. You may need to take a day or two to gauge it for yourself... if you can only get one or two reps, too heavy... if you can complete them all and more... too light.... also, start lighter with the higher reps and up the weight as you go...

My second question is that I noticed virtually all of the exercises the plan suggests I do involve a few sets with a sequentially decreasing # of reps.... what's the rationale for this?

-- increasing the weight as you lower the reps. It's a pyramid type routine.

Does it really matter if I switch around from week to week between Mon/Thur/Sat and Mon/Wed/Fri or Mon/Wed/Sat? Since I work both a full time and a part time job that has a variable schedule, it's almost impossible for me to keep the exact same 3 days every week.

-- no.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove