Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

COKE VS DIET COKE

fouts
fouts
United States
2008/09/18, 02:26 AM
I'm a manager at a gym and recently got into an argument with an employee. He said that regular coke is better for you than diet coke. I said he is wrong and he bet me $100 he was right. I know technically there is no way to prove this 100 percent but just thought you could help me out here with some feedback. All of the trainers said regular coke is better for you than diet coke which blew my freakin mind! Then an older doctor came in so I asked him his opinion and he said regular coke is definitely worse for you than diet coke hands down.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/09/18, 09:25 AM
I'm thinking that it may depend on how a person deals with the sweetener or the sugar. I've heard the sweetener isn't bad for you and I've heard it's perfectly safe.

I'm not so sure this can be proven. I say split the hundred bucks and call it square and avoid both.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/09/19, 03:05 PM
Fire your trainers!

If a trainer told me that it would definitely put a red flag up and I hate to say it but this just goes to the it's still a fact that most trainers out there don't know squat and it may have to do with the fact most are just kids.

Aspartame is the most widely tested and safest sweetener out there non has been tested as much as Aspartame has been.

We all know sugar and corn syrup is bad.

You get 0 calories 0 carbs from a diet coke but you get 42 calories and 10 carbs from a regular, now super size that or make it a big gulp.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
fouts
fouts
United States
2008/09/19, 11:27 PM
Thank you! I could not believe that the trainers agreed with that. I told one of the trainers what the doctor said and he replied that doctors study different things and a trainer would know more about nutrition. WOW! Didn't even go there with that guy! No disrespect to trainers but a PHD vs a 2 week certification class? Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/09/19, 11:38 PM
When anyone makes an 'argument', they need facts to back up their stance, or they just have 'I heard it somewhere' facts. Make them show you some papers, anything, one shred of credible evidence for a start.

I will tell you that studies do show that there is no difference in ones cancer chances with diet or regular. However, this does not dictate that regular is better, it just says you have just as good a chance with either.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/09/19, 11:51 PM
There are a couple interesting things about coke and diet coke. First, just density alone should tell you something about what it will do to your 'figure'. If you put a can of diet coke and a can of regular coke in water, the regular coke will sink.

Another interesting thing, and I saw this on Mythbusters and tried it and it works, is the 'explosion' you get almost instantaneously with diet coke and mentos. Regular coke does not work.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/09/20, 01:48 AM
BB1 make a good point as always!

My statement is on calorie intake as most gym goers drink a soda here and there or even more often then that, so once again drink say 3 cans a day of diet vs regular and you have allot of wasted calories with regular vs taking in no calories with diet.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!