Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Childhood Obesity: What do you think?

returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/09/10, 12:59 PM
This may seem like it belongs in the obesity section, but I'm posting it here because I'm just looking for a general consensus.
Did any of you catch a show called "you're too young to be this fat"? I saw it last night with my wife(I think it was on A&E) and happened on a startling statistic: According to the show, one in every SIX American teens are clinically obese. There were two feature stories about teens who basically found comfort in food for one reason or another. Their eating went unchecked, and they both ended up tipping the scales at over three hundred pounds.
My question is where were the parents? Aside from a very small percentage of people with actual genetic disorders, I feel like a huge percentage of childhood obesity could be nipped in the bud by parents.
In a previous relationship, I got to play dad (they weren't mine but ya gotta love the little buggers anyway) to two great little girls, one of which showed the signs of comfort eating. Admittedly at the time I wasn't as educated about nutrition as I am now, but between her mother and I we were able to curve that habit and she only ate when she was hungry. And she was served reasonable portions. I never wanted her to have to be the fat kid like I was.
Anyway, I see it all the time now where kids are getting the old "fine, just take it and shut-up" routine, and I think it applies to kids comfort eating as well.
I know that a lot of people simply don't know about calorie types and balances, but we all know that fried food, and fast food is bad for us. And that eating when we're not really hungry is bad for us. So why are we allowing our kids to continue this way?
What do all of my peers think of this? Is this childhood obesity happening because people just don't know, OR because we aren't properly parenting kids anymore?
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/09/10, 01:38 PM
I agree it's a definately a problem. I think it's a combination of factors that have gotten us here - kids aren't nearly as active as they used to be or should be and throughout society as a whole this has become acceptable.

I don't think parents realize that there is anything wrong with their child's activity level or eating habits because it is in line with all of the other families around them are doing.

I also think that with today's hectic lifestyles, many people once again don't realize that they are not parenting properly because they simply don't take the time to see the issues.

Most parents themselves aren't active enough or eating properly - so the kids follow what they see at home every day.

My 2 and 4 year old already know that in order to have a "treat", they first need to have a healthy snack (and they know what those are). They also know that can eat as much fruit, milk, cheese, yogurt etc as they care to, and that sugary treats are limited. We also sit at the table for dinner together every evening. Many people simply don't take the time for these simple things....Priorities are shifted for many people.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/10, 02:04 PM
There is also hardly any physical activity left in the schools. The older kids don't get recess anymore and phy ed programs are practically non-existant...

I also think it should be child abuse to let your children get morbidly obese...

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/09/10, 02:15 PM
Agreed - kids are being set up for a number of health issues into adulthood. We started noticing when Colton was 10, that he was spending way too much time inside in front of the Computer/T.V./Video Games - so Eugene kicked him outside every weekend, told him not to come in until suppertime(jokingly of course) - and now we can't keep him inside. However, Colton who is now 12 weighs about 60 lbs...he is a short little skinny guy, but he is now living healthier (weight isn't the only indicator of health decline)
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/11/20, 03:45 PM
any time i see a kid struggling with there weight huffing and puffing after a short walk i just think to myself what is this kid in for when hes 40 parents should do a better job of controlling this but how can they legitimately do this while they are also fat this is an epidemic in America that something should be done about but there is no easy solution and i doubt one will ever be found they send people to schools to say not to do drugs they should also be teaching the dangers of fast food trans fats sitting on your ass all day eating Cheetos processed sugars and the effect all that extra weight can have on the body dont sugarcoat it tell them the truth you are literally taking years off of your life and it can be fixed by making a few simple lifestyle changes excuse- i dont have time -thats right if you keep this up you dont have much time youll be dead- america needs to wake up-just my take
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/11/20, 05:56 PM
*warning rant approaching*
I was just watching Dr.Phil with my wife the other day and he happened to be doing a show on this exact subject. What was the most disturbing about it was that every person on the show had taken the "take this and shut up" approach to parenting. Those kids were suffering because mom and dad didn't want to listen to them whine. I see the exact same thing with my family and friends. I find it ridiculous in this day and age and with all of the available information that people are allowing their kids to be like this. Nobody likes to come home after work and cook for the family. I know because I do it every day(my wife is a terrible cook, and it's also the only way I can guarantee I'm getting the nutrition I need). But it's just another one of those little choices in life that you have to make to stay healthy.
Is it me or is accountability really taking a down turn in our country? Since when is "I give up, take it and shut up" become acceptable parenting? It just kills me to see these kids and know what kind of heartbreak and ridicule they're in for.
tinab40
tinab40
United States
2009/01/04, 06:50 AM
I have been overweight most of my life. I had bad self esteem because my parents kept putting me down for my weight. I was put down by my school mates. In High School, someone called wrote, "Bertha Butt" on the gyms wall. Everybody, were laughing and pointed at me. It made me go inward and not want to work out. I have also some emotional issues that included being molested as a child and raped at the age of 17 years old. I am now married and about to turn 46 years old. I am finally finding a way to address my issues. I realize the importance of the parents role to guide and build self-esteem in their children. I still struggle but with God's help I am learning to cope.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2009/01/04, 11:13 AM
The thing that is so hard for me about this, is I remember being larger than the other kids when I was in kindergarden. I was NOT obese, I maybe had an extra 5lbs on me, but being even the slightest bit larger than the other kids, I was on my first diet(Jenny Craig) at age 10. A child should not be put through that unless they truly need help, and not just tweaking of whats being served at home. Due to my mothers screwed up view of things like that, I know have to be very firm with her when it comes to my son, as he is very tall for his age, and is a solid mass of little boy muscle. Even though his weight is 70th%, completely normal, she has made comments about maybe he shouldn't eat so much, or have I asked the doctor if his weight is ok. It's not fun, and it's sad to see how being over aware of a big problem like childhood obesity can backfire.

I'm done now, sorry if it was totally not on topic lol.
Gerrit_Lee
Gerrit_Lee
United States
2009/01/14, 10:42 PM
Being only 16 myself I might have some unique insight on this subject. Our school offers healthy food choices but everyday I see students picking out the greasy pizza and chocolate milk, and there is a seperate area where students can buy huge cookies or pop-tarts. I don't think it is really our schools responsibility to make students eat right, though they have done some good by no longer selling pop and teaching proper diet & exercise in required classes. But really only the parents could enforce proper diet and so many of the overweight students I see are eating terrible food. One younger kid I know pulled out a 2-liter of pop and some kind of little debbie snacks for lunch. Even though I told him How unhealthy it looked he didn't really care and even laughed about it. So other than those struggling with genetic issues, I think much of the problem lies with parents letting their kids eat whatever whenever without any kind of exercise.