Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Free weights vs machines

ohmygod_itsme
ohmygod_itsme
United Kingdom
2008/07/08, 10:22 AM
I have recently decided it is about time to do start to work on my body and start building a bit of muscle (I am rather on the skinny side). I have read through an awful lot of advice on here (thanks, guys) and have taken it on board. I just wondered what your opinions were on machines/free weights? Which is the better to use? Or is it better to get a good mix of both?

I have been trying to do both to the best of my ability but when I am using free weights I seem to not be able to hold my posture correctly. Is there anything you could advise to help with this?

Thanks in advance!
JD88
JD88
United Kingdom
2008/07/08, 10:53 AM
Try dropping the weight right down low so its easy to get the correct posture, they once you get the posture correct increase the weight slowly. Also trainning with someone who is experenced helps because they will be able to spot what your doing wrong and help correct it. Dont be afraid to start with very low weights.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/07/08, 05:14 PM
I use both free weights and machines. The free weights are unbeatable for compound exercises, and machines can really help to isolate specific muscles.