Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Purchase of Bowflex

computer
computer
United States
2001/10/07, 10:02 PM
Hi, I'm a 44 year old male just recently back into weightlifting. I've been pretty diligent over the past six months. I currently use free weights, but have trouble going to fatigue on some of the exercises, especially the bench press as I'm afraid of hurting myself. I'm considering purchasing a bowflex and would like some input from some members before I blow $1,200.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/10/07, 11:21 PM
My wife bought one when she was in college (just a couple years ago). We used it a few times, but the movements aren't very natural at all. In fact, we ended up joining a gym only 4 months after she bought it because it wasn't all that great. We just sold it in February of this year in favor of an awesome olympic free weight system. We sold the BowFlex for $1000, and the system we have now cost just under $800 - and now, I'm able to perform more natural movements, gain much more mass and flexability, and do many more excercises than the BowFlex offered.
Also, the resistance system is not accurate at all with the Bowflex. Even when I was out of shape, I had to use all of the "power rods" just to get a little bit of a workout. Even with the supposed "300+lbs of resistance" I could easily do 20+ reps. With free weights, its just you vs. gravity. Its more fun to wage war with gravity, the ultimate force of nature, than it is with some machine anyway.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/10/08, 08:47 PM
War is the right term!! I like that. Man against the steel. I do feel more power after lifting the free weights too. Lift on!!

coolness...
paulz
paulz
United States
2001/10/10, 01:43 PM
computer i am 42 and looked real hard at the bowflex. decided not to buy one after going to gyms and asking questions on machines i can bench 215. on free weights i bench 185. at my age i cant afford serious injury so i lift to stay fit and build some muscle mass.{my wife does not complain on how i look}for mee freeweights were the answer. hope you make the right decisions for yourself and your needds
ThunderMan
ThunderMan
United States
2001/10/14, 10:49 PM
Well, computer if you really think that the bowflex will help you. You have to consider sticking up to it, not giving up your workout. The bottom line is that's still $1,200.00 we're talking about. Good Luck.
ken30307
ken30307
United States
2001/10/18, 08:39 PM
Hey...I had a Bowflex too...ended up donating it to a local charity. I think it's a good solid machine..but I soon out grew the number of exercises you can do with it...it can be kinda wierd sometimes too. It won't take you to the level of the people on the photos advertising the machine. The reason why I got one was that I was embarrassed about going to the gym..didn't like the way my body looked and didn't think I would fit in. But I found a gym that I LOVE...I'll never work out at home again...but it's a preference thing.

Good luck!
--Ken