Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Getting Started - strength or cardio?

d.french
d.french
United States
2008/05/16, 03:03 PM
I'm getting back on the exercise wagon after a few years off. I'm naturally thick and muscle-y but have put on about 30 lbs of fat, probably more considering i've no doubt lost muscle during my hiatus, as well.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if it'd be better for me to focus on strength training for a few weeks, then hit the cardio hard, my rationale being that I'd build up the fat burning machine (muscle), then turn it on (cardio).

My goal is to primarily burn the fat and preserve and tone the muscle I have.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/05/17, 07:06 AM
Both!!!!! But I would prioritize strength training - it will boost your metabolism, burn fat, preserve muscle, give you a post-workout calroic burn increase and many other things...some studies have even shwon that it does benefit your cardiovascular system...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/05/17, 07:06 AM
Oh, and I forgot to add - burning fat will mostly be up to dialing in your diet.
d.french
d.french
United States
2008/05/19, 12:42 PM
Thanks, asimmer. I've been working mostly legs, chest, back, abs, and shoulders. I do about 10 min of cardio to warm up and cool down, but have yet to do a true 'cardio day'. I enjoy both cardio and strength training, but jsut feel like it may be somewhat premature and/or counterproductive to start out alternating both on a daily basis, eg. i don't want my cardio to eat up any gains just yet....if that makes sense...thanks again!!

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Both!!!!! But I would prioritize strength training - it will boost your metabolism, burn fat, preserve muscle, give you a post-workout calroic burn increase and many other things...some studies have even shwon that it does benefit your cardiovascular system...
=============