Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

My arm hurts =( what do I do?

cgrayson3
cgrayson3
United States
2008/04/16, 02:08 PM
Hey everybody, just stumbled upon these forums while looking for a solution to my predicament and it looked like a good place to start.

So my problem started roughly 14 months ago. I was curling entirely too much weight for my size (55 pounds per arm). The curls that I would do would start with the dumbbell perpendicular to my body at my side (arm by my side fully stretched). I would then curl upwards and as I was doing so rotate my wrist outward so that when my curl was finished the dumbbell would be parallel to my body.

I started to get a pain in my lower bicep / upper forearm and stopped doing bicep work outs, but continued to do forearm / tricep / chest. The problem worsened and I slowly stopped doing any upperbody. After stopping, the problem still did not get any better.

I started going to physical therapy in October. At first I only received the typical physical therapy (massages and stretches etc) but after two months I started to get needling (acupuncture). My range of motion increased dramatically and I was able to flex my bicep once more, even if shakily. I stopped going to physical therapy about two months ago.

Although my arm is in much better shape than it was six months ago, it is still not completely healed. On good days I can completely flex my bicep with both my fist turned upwards and turned inwards. On a bad day I will barely be able to and when I do the bicep will be twitching.

I just started doing bicep exercises with a rubber band given to me by the physical therapist, but even then I feel a sharp pain sort of deep in my upper forearm right near the bicep.

I am just SICK AND TIRED of not being able to reliably use my upper body. There are three tendons that were seen as problems, the pronator tarese, the pronator, and one other that I can't think of. Whichever the three tendons that would be most involved with the exercise that I explained earlier would be the best bet. My questions for you all are the following:

1) What are the chances that my tendon(s) are torn and I would need surgery?

2) If I did have to get surgery, how painful is this sort of thing and how long (ball park) of a recovery time would there be?

3) Would it be a bad idea to take a prohormone to try and bulk up the muscle around the injury, as that seems to be what helps it the best?

4) Could this be something other than a tendon injury?

Any help any of you can give me on this issue is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gimp
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/15, 01:42 PM
If you saw a physical therapist, he/she should have given you a diagnosis. Since this therapist saw you in person and was able to give a full clinical examination, this diagnosis will be infinitely closer to any diagnosis we can give you.

An MRI would be a good idea.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk