Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Stretching and other newbie questions

patrickphile
patrickphile
United States
2001/06/25, 01:03 AM
Hi. Just joined today and have been looking around the site.

I need to lose about ten pounds, tone up and just generally get into better shape and increase my flexibility. I'm a born couch potato who HATES working out, and I have a killer sweet tooth. I also have reactive hypoglycemia (not a good match with the sweet tooth).

I saw one reference on the site to the importance of stretching, but I'm not finding anything by way of instruction on when/how/how much to stretch. As mentioned, I need to increase my flexibility, not to mention that I want to prevent injury. It's been a long time since I was in a gym class, and I don't really remember how to do proper stretches. Any suggestions?

Also, because of the low blood sugar issue, I frequently end up "crashing" when I exercise. I've been told that exercise is important in regulating blood sugar levels, but it's hard to stay motivated when you end up feeling really, really lousy as a result of physical activity. Should I eat more protein or carbs before exercising? How can I prevent the "crash"?

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks.

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/06/28, 07:13 AM
Here's an article that I found a while ago that may help you out. Just cut and paste the link: http://www.fitnessonline.com/fitnessonline/folviewerTemplates/featarticle.asp?Catid=235&Objid={F9BECC59-60B6-11D3-80E5-0090277C0A31}&curpage=1&curCatID=4&SuperCID=S&CID=S&SubCID=S

Click where it says "Workouts Step-by-step" and it will show you pictures and give details of each stretching motion.

As for the blood sugar, www.glycemicindex.com is a very good site to see what foods may prevent your crash. Hope it helps!

---JBennett
ChrisYi
ChrisYi
United States
2001/07/05, 12:44 AM
Thanks JBennett. I checked out the site, I'll remember to incorporate the stretching into my routine.

Chris