Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

injuries while running

gene6
gene6
Canada
2008/04/12, 09:10 PM
Hi!
Ive been doing elliptical regularly for the past 2 months or so, about an 45 mins a day, 3-4 days a week. Im happy with this ive never lasted this long.
But im a bit dissatisfied that I haven't been losing weight, I wish to push it harder. I cut down my diet to about 1500-2000 calories too, but this is a side story. I wish to start running, I think it just does a better job all around for you, your health, etc and it would be more fun to exercise outdoors.

This is a problem I have had in the past: when I start running I very quickly injure my shins, or perhaps the muscles around my shins, and my knees.

Im admittedly a bit over weight- 220, 5/11 but I hold the weight fairly well. Been exercising for like 3 years, but mainly weight training/ only just started with cardio.

I have a family history of knee problems so if possible I want to preserve them! But paradoxically isn't running supposed to be good for your health?

Im not sure if its shin splints, it feels more like a muscular problem but honestly I have no idea how to tell the difference. Usually they go away in about a week.

ideas:
poor running form? it seems easy enough- heel-toe-heel-toe etc
weak leg/shin/knee muslces? is there specific training i can do to not have this prob?
am I pushing it too hard? perhaps my body is simply not used to running and I need to work up to it

Any good info you guys could offer/point to/relate? I want to make running a part of my life, but I dont want to suffer permanent injuries
thanks!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/13, 11:22 AM
Read the shin splint sticky at the top of this forum.

I've just posted there, so it should be the first post.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk