Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

How do I start my mother weight training

Yxven
Yxven
United States
2008/04/09, 12:26 PM
safely?

I asked her recently if she would like to join me, and shockingly enough, she thought it was a good idea.

So how do I begin with her safely? She's 63ish years old, in between stick thin and overweight, she's lived a sedentary lifestyle for the past 40+ years, and she has bad knees.

I guess I'm most concerned about her knees. I would like her to be able to do squats, so how do I proceed safely to that point?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/09, 12:30 PM
I typically start (especially 'older' trainees that are new) with machines. Ironically, you have to train to be able to train. That is, if never having done it before, you have to get the body in some type of shape to get in shape. Machines are a good way and safe and make a newbie feel comfortable. Get a motion down, and then may slowly move them into some free weights, light, but keeping the majority of their work with regulated range of motion machines. The bottom line here, if you try to push anyone too fast, or they don't enjoy it or simply feel uncomfortable, they will not stay with it. And especially, and older person, once they get a mindset that they don't like it, you will catch hell getting them ever back in there. So, slow and easy.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer