Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Enough protein or too much ?

revoman
revoman
Canada
2008/04/08, 09:11 PM
Hey everybody , a quick question , i usually take about 3 to 4 shakes a day along with all my meals , i do workout 4 to 5 timnes a week , i am trying to lean down and add muscle obviously , i was just wondering if i am taking too much ..i take them between meals ans after my workouts , sometimes with breakfast also .

Thanks
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/08, 09:34 PM
It depends on your calorie needs. If you need that much protein and can't seem to get it from food, well then it's ok, but if you are consuming the protein just to up your protein count, then no it's overkill and costing you a fortune for no reason. Figure on 1g per lb of bodyweight.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/08, 11:41 PM
Your goal with protein is to keep blood amino acid levels circulating pretty much all the time. Though this does not necessarily mean you will be building muscle, it does however give your body another 'source' rather than existing muscle tissue when it needs amino acids.

If you are dieting, it is imperative to up your protein as needs are higher as you lower carbs, and utilization by the body raises. Now, remember, the caveate is keeping calorie levels correct, so you need to factor in your protein intake as per your caloric needs. Starts to get tricky.

On the other hand, if you are gaining, in most cases you will never have an empty stomach anyway, so who cares.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

revoman
revoman
Canada
2008/04/09, 04:59 PM
I guess i could cut down on a few shakes , since i would need about 205 g of protein , so for sure i will take one after working out and one during the day also , there are some days that it is easier to just take a shake and leave but some days i have time to really eat what i need to eat . but i dont think with food i get all the protein i need, i eat chicken almost very other day , and red meat , lots of rice and veggies, always good stuff actually , and the occasional pretzels , i just dont see in my day getting up to that amount in food wise. I should maybe make a list of what i eat in a day and calculate it after.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/10, 10:21 PM
Keeping a journal for a 7 day period will be a great help.

Good luck.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)