Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Can I build mass in my legs...

Sam295
Sam295
Canada
2008/04/03, 07:56 AM
without squats or leg presses?
I am just starting back into training.
I used to train very hard and would actually push myself very hard on squats, but blew my back out doing smith machine squats one day when all the squat racks were taken.
I don't really have a "real diagnosis" but I cannot squat anything.
If I try to even work into a squat program I tweak something with using very light weights. It's so bad the pain wraps around from my spine to my chest.
Breathing hurts.
And this from being very patient and working slowly into heavier weights.
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE SUGGESTIONS TO REMEDY THIS.
I WILL NEVER PLACE A HEAVY LOAD DIRECTLY ON MY SPINE AGAIN.
I can deadlift! And I love it.
When my financial situation clears up I WILL buy a trap bar so I can do some heavy trap bar squats, but for now I want some suggestions on how to build good leg mass without squats or leg presses.
The leg presses I'd have to go to a gym and that is another financial matter again.
Can regular deadlifts be the bulk of my leg training or does anyone have a modified version of deadlifts to hit my quads harder to help me build my bird legs?
Something with a regular bar pleases.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/04/03, 08:51 AM
Can you do lunges, hack squats (DL behind the back), straight leg deadlifts/romanian deadlifts, glute ham raises, dumbbell squats or bulgarian split squats.

I think you can build mass without squats, but it wouldn't be as easy as if you could do them.

There is a guy on here, SFGiants, who had a similar problem and I think he can squat and DL now. Maybe he can give you some input based on his experiences.

Disclaimer: I'd check with a doctor before trying any of those. A problem like that needs to be checked out anyway.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/03, 09:56 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Sam295
Sam295
Canada
2008/04/03, 10:34 AM
FWIW,
I live in Canada and have no faith in our healthcare!
I have been to the doctors several times!
It's been a 10 year stint of good health/bad health. I only self induce an injury if I place a load that is directly over my spine, like a compressive load.
Unlike the load of squats or leg presses that you are talking about.
It's the craziest thing, I tell my doctor it only hurts when I place unecessary loads directly crushing down on my spine and he says.."well just don't do that".
There is no physio offered to me that is directed so I can squat insane amounts of weight.
All kidding aside it may not be the absolute best solution but it is not overly terrible.
I know people who do do physio and they are only looking to live a reasonably healthy life.
Being unable to, again, place heavy load directly over my spine is not all that bad.
From what I know of hernias is that the ones who suffer from them usually don't approach physio with the intention of performing physically to the level which always puts them at risk of further injuries.
What would be involved with removing discomfort from my spine and be able to squat heavy?
It's too much for me to worry about without the help of a doctor who cares!
Hows your last year and half been? Injury free?
The question remains to those who wish to help, can I build muscle mass in my legs by performing deadlifts?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/03, 11:19 AM
Then I'm going to give you medical advice even though you don't want it. Dr's don't know much about musculo-skeletal disorders. Seriously, most Dr's know just enough biomechanics to pass the MCAT's, which isn't much.

Find a good physical therapist.

As for my last year and a half, it's been less injury prone than many years, but I suffer from a few things that will probably cause me pain for the rest of my life. However, without the help of a good therapist and myself studying occupational therapy, I'd be in pain when walking (3 years ago) as opposed to intermittent pain, and deadlifting and squatting would be completely out of the question. Something is better than nothing.

As for your question, I'd say SLDL's for PC and hack squats for quads. You might try front squats to see if those hurt as well. Very deep front squats would have a reduced load, and the load would be in a different place.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/04/03, 11:20 AM
Yes, you can, but I don't understand how you can deadlift with a back problem that won't let you put heavy weight on our spine. It is still compresses your spin same as squatting. I also don't understand how you can say that the leg press hurts your back , but DLs don't. Something is fishy about that.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/03, 11:45 AM
============
Quoting from Pemdas:

but I don't understand how you can deadlift with a back problem that won't let you put heavy weight on our spine.
=============

Easy. It's not a back problem. More than likely it is a problem related to the high level of intra-abdominal pressure produced from squatting (which is still present, but to a lesser extent and in different directions when deadlifting).

Also, he said he can leg press, which would make sense because IAP is much less with the leg press.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk