Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Shin Splints

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/03/23, 06:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I include some good cardio in my everyday workout.However, I have a probs with the treadmill.Whenever I reach around 10 min my ankle and shin area starts hurting and I cant run any longer.I have tried doing this a couple of times thinking that maybe its a temporary pain but unfortunately it comes back every time I take on the treadmil.I have to focus more on cycling,rowing and cross trainers for my cardio.However I do realise how important running is for a good cardio workout. Pls guys help me with this?What should I do?Should I consult a doctor about this?

Also guys since there are many experts in this community I would also like to know if there are other ways of doing some good cardio workout? Serious help needed.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/03/23, 12:55 PM
Read this:

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=6&t_ix=695

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/03/27, 07:26 AM
hey thanks that was an interesting article.Also maybe I have put on some weight which might be putting some extra pressure on my shins.I do cycling and cross training.Any other good cardio workouts which you can think of?Pls advice

============
Quoting from jbennett:

Read this:

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=6&t_ix=695

=============
blue77
blue77
United States
2008/06/05, 02:40 AM
it sounds like you might have nerve damage to this area,or arthur good be visting you have you tried taking two aleve before going to the gym,the shin doesnt have a lot of nerves around it so its probably in the bone or the small muscle in front,I would do alot of calf raises and seated calf raises to,maybe even change your running shoes.:(
jlennon
jlennon
Canada
2008/06/05, 03:38 AM
You should try ice five minutes on five off repeat three times do this twice daily. follow with gentle stretching of the calf area. Also look into a better running shoe. Never let running shoes reach older than one year
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2008/06/20, 06:19 AM
I just recovered from shin splints caused by running. I had pain every time I ran for about 4 months. One day it was so bad I made an appointment with my doc. He confirmed shin splints put me on prescription ibuprofen 3x a day and no running for 1 month. I did mention that I had taken 2 weeks off at a time with no improvement. He said my shins need a whole month.

I took to the cross trainer, but i pretended to run while one it... no holding on to the bars, I got a great workout. I always wore a heart monitor to make sure I was working out enough.

Also, even gaining 5 lbs puts 3x more pressure on you joints when running.

You may also want to get fitted by a professional for running shoes. They take into account your form, the shape of your feet, and how many miles you intend to do a week. Service is free of charge in legit running shoes stores.

Lighter running shoes made for speed aren't good support for distance runners. I learned that the hard way and I only ran 15-20 miles a week.

And, as mentioned above... stretch. before, after your workout, and a few times throughout the day.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/20, 02:11 PM
I bought new cleats for soccer and got them bad but since I snapped my left leg in half in a Harley wreck in 94 that leg takes much longer to heel.

So I bought new running shoes, elevated it at night, use a resistants band and hook it to my feet pulling my feet towards me sitting on my butt with the band wrapped around a poll and most of all that helps the best is to get a Shin Splint Support and put it on tight!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Magill
Magill
United States
2008/06/20, 03:41 PM
3 years ago, I was part of a black belt group that had to run as part of our training. I ran 3-5 miles 3x a week and suffered horrible shin splints. I went to a sports doctor and he had me put lotion on my shins and then press my thumb down the sides of my shin to break up the scar tissue that formed from tearing during running. I did this everyday and when I started running again I did it after every run. I had to stop running for 2 weeks and then when I was ready to start I was only to run on grass for another 2 weeks. Slowly I got back into running and I've never had a problem again. Try it and good luck . . . I feel your pain :(
Sigurd8404
Sigurd8404
United States
2008/07/23, 12:15 PM
The only way to get rid of shin splints is rest and proper strenghtening exercises. A physical therapist is your best route. I'm a Medic with the Marines, and we see shin splints all of the time, and we always send them to see a physical therapist. You can get proper stretches and excersizes that will strenghten your shins.

Otherwise, until than, iceing may help. You can set your feet out in front of you and do the same feet motions as a toe raise excersise, but horizontally. Sit down, legs extended together in front of you. Using only your leg muscles, flex your foot toward the ground, as far down as you can. Do that a few times, it'll help stretch your shin muscles.

I highly recommend going to a physical therapist however.

--------------
\\"No man is intelligent enough to be a succesful liar\\" - Abraham Lincoln