Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Calling all Soccer experts....

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/18, 12:55 PM
I need someone's, anyone's, everyone's help. My son signed up for Soccer this year. He's always played hockey, but since my husband injured his ankle and can no longer coach him he's not interested. So, when we signed him up for soccer, my hubby told the YMCA, that if they are short HELPERS, to let him know. He's coached hockey, football, and baseball from ages 3 up to highschool age, so is well experienced in coaching. Well, they said that they had enough coaches, but thanks anyway. Last night they called and said that they did need his help. He arrived at the coaches meeting to find that he wasn't being asked to HELP another coach, they gave him his own team and he's the head coach.
This is all well and good except that neither of us know the first thing about soccer except that you use a goal and a black and white ball. I think the rules are similar to hockey, but don't know for sure. When he told the YMCA that he doens't know anything about soccer they said "You will be fine!" I guess they have way too many kids and not enough volunteers so they are desperate.
So, I looked for a "Coaching soccer for dummies" book and didn't find one. We can easily learn the fundamentals of the sport but trying to figure out what drills are good for 9-10 year olds is another story. Their first game is in 2 weeks and we have one practice between now and then.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/03/18, 02:15 PM
We always worked on things like ball dribbling drills (straight line, corners, around cones), passing drills (keep away, settling the ball then passing it back, etc.), 1 on 1 drills (offender and defender then the goalie in the goal).
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/03/18, 02:42 PM
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~dgraham/manual/
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/18, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys!!! I'll share this info with my hubby.