Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

why i hate the supplement industry...

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/08, 11:16 PM
This is from Justin Harris. I have heard of people doing this sort of stuff, but it disappoints me so much to think what a sham some of these companies have become...

"Each product contains ingredients that have never been on the market before. We didn't just add a methyl group or ethyl ester to some random product that has been out forever. This sort of thing, by the way, is a major frustration of mine. Adding a methyl group or ethyl ester has no guarantee of improved bioavailability. In some cases, it could result in DECREASED effectiveness. Many of these products ? yohimbine, for example - were originally pharmaceutical products. These mega-pharm companies wouldn't have put hundreds of millions of dollars into development only to ?forget? to add a methyl group to an available position on the chemical structure.

I believe there is even a product in some trouble right now for adding an ethyl ester...to a chemical that can't even HOLD an ethyl ester.

I've seen people call various forms of amino acids "instantized" when all they've added is some form of acid. Vitamin C could even be used for this. Brilliant science, right? The acid helps bring the aminos into solution...a little bit.

Greed has caused a lack of innovation in products. I'd imagine this has something to do with the fact that anyone who has the knowledge to really fuel production of new products is going to apply that knowledge to something with more income potential than the supplement industry. The supplement industry itself, however, has become nothing more than its own bottom line. There is even an ephedra product out now BRAGGING that their product contains NO EPHEDRINE ALKALOIDS. In other words, they're bragging that it doesn't have any active compounds in the product.

For the record, ephedra is just a species of plant. It's basically a weed. Ephedra viridis is a plant in the ephedra genus that grows in many areas of the United States. Ephedra viridis contains NO ephedrine alkaloids.

The ephedrine alkaloid is a beta agonist with sympathomimetic properties. THAT is what works. The word ephedra just describes a type of plant! Ephedrine itself is banned. This means that any ANALOGUE of ephedrine ? due to the "analogue rule" - is also illegal for production and sale as a nutritional supplement. Any product that contains any alkaloid of ephedrine cannot be sold. "

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/09, 07:49 PM
And to add to this, most folks do not realize these supplement 'companies' do not even have their own labs. They farm out to the very few that do exist a dollar amount to make a product containing XYZ, a fancy label and they need to sell it for X amount of dollars. This is for the most part what determines the quality of even the proven supplements.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer