Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Side pain

clickster
clickster
United States
2008/02/20, 12:31 PM
I recently started getting a sharp pain on the middle of my left side. It only hurts when I do chest exercises. It hurts the most when I first start to lift the weight up, and then it doesn't hurt as bad. I noticed today that when I am using the flat bench press machine, it doesn't hurt when I use the close grip but it does when I use the wide grip. Any ideas?
clickster
clickster
United States
2008/02/22, 06:08 PM
After doing some more research, I think it is the serratus anterior muscle that is hurting. It is not hurting me during the day, only during my chest exercises. Should I stop doing the chest exercises until the pain stops? Is there a stretch that I can do that will help?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/23, 10:27 AM
If you could be much more specific, that would help. You also might want to check for scapular winging, as it would be an indicator and symptom of a weak serratus anterior.

The progression for serratus anterior weakness is rest, followed by eliminating all open chain pressing (bench, incline bench, decline bench, bench in general), and the rehab progression I would recommend is something like this...

isometric push up holds (top position)
isometric push up holds (top position) on a bosu ball
isometric push up holds (top position) on a swiss ball
push ups plus
push ups
push ups with feet raised
flat db pressing
bench press

Depending on the severity would dictate where I would begin.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk