Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

HIIT... on an empty stomach?

ir.n.lady
ir.n.lady
United States
2008/02/14, 01:09 AM
I have tried to search the boards, but didn't find an answer to this question. I am trying to gain mass, but am also trying keep the fat levels at bay.

I would do HIIT on my non-w/o days in the morning; about 15 minutes after I wake up (it's the only way I can make it to work on time). My question is: should I eat something before hand or go on an empty stomach? The HIIT would only be 20 minutes on the treadmill - The morning is the only time I can do my cardio - thanks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/14, 01:13 PM
I would have something in your stomach. For short time periods before workouts of any type, a liquid meal is the best way to go, as it is more quickly assimilated.

While trying to gain mass, we of course all want to keep fat at bay. However, by doing things that are typically done while trying to lose fat, your goals become 'skewed' by the very nature of the diet it takes to do either. This does not mean you have to pig out if you are trying to gain, but by all means do not do 'counterproductive' things. Kind of like trying to heat and cool your house at the same time if you get my meaning.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ir.n.lady
ir.n.lady
United States
2008/02/14, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply BB1fit. I have searched through numerous amounts of previous posts including a whole bunch you posted regarding this topic. I completely understand what you are saying.

I am just concerned about gaining too much fat while I'm trying to gain mass. I have to find the right balance of how much calories to take in per day, how much cardio to do, etc. What is the best approach to find answers to these questions?

I am about a year and a half removed from rotator cuff surgery so I can not bench press or do any over the head exercises (military press, etc.). I can go heavy on hammer strength chest press machines, however.

Thanks...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/15, 11:55 AM
The absolute very best approach you can take is using the response of your body to your approach. If the above sounds like double talk or a cop out, rest assured, it is not. You and you alone will have to find the optimal amount of rest and caloric intake to keep you gaining but fat somewhat at bay. This is very tricky to do, and after doing it for some time you will reach your point. There are 'general' rules, but massaging them toward your needs are going to have to come from you. For instance, if you are a person who gains fat easily, you may indeed need more cardio/caloric adjustments to stay somewhat lean while trying to gain mass, as this type of person will have a higher propensity for fat gain than muscle gain. I wish I could give you some type of definitive number, but as you may infer from the post, it is really not a 'team sport' with our physiques, there is no cookie cutter approach number that works for everyone to their desires. Or if you are just a person who is fairly 'vain', you may not be able to stand an ounce of fat. Another may be able to 'live with it' and gain a bunch. Just more examples throwing out there.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ir.n.lady
ir.n.lady
United States
2008/02/18, 04:13 PM
thanks bb1fit.