Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Another exercise substitution...

stillmore
stillmore
United States
2008/02/01, 07:31 PM
Is there something I can substitute for seated calf raises? I don't have access to the machine- and have never even heard of the exercise, to be honest. I'm not afraid of the work, I'm just low on information!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/02/02, 10:31 AM
You may want to try standing calf raises, either machine or using your own body weight standing on your toes at the edge of a step or platform and lowering your heels slowly and repeating up and down.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/02, 02:45 PM
Or sit on the edge of a bench/chair with your toes on a 2 inch board, place dumbbells on top of your knees for resistance and lift and lower your heels by contracting your calf muscles.

Your calf is made up of two muscles, gastrocnemius and soleus. Standing calf work emphasizes one and seated emphasizes the pther, so it is a good idea to include both if you want well-developed calves.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle