Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Push-pull routine for weak arms?

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/01, 09:31 AM
Maybe work bi's before back on that day?
ir.n.lady
ir.n.lady
United States
2008/02/01, 12:30 AM
Hello,

I have a quick question about push-pull routines. I have been doing:

M: chest,tri's
W: legs, shoulders
f: back, bi's

My biceps are really weak so by the time I finish my back, the weight I lift when working out my bis are light. Since I want to work on my weaker parts right now, would it be better to have this kind of routine?

M: chest, bis
W: legs
F: back, shoulders, tris

Please provide your input... thanks
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 01:29 AM
Push-pull routines commonly look like the following:

M: Horizontal Upper Body Push-Pull
W: Lower body Push-Pull
F: Vertical Upper body Push-pull

Push-pull routines don't focus on body parts but rather the pressing and pushing movements themselves.

Example:
M: Bench Press (push), Bent over Barbell Row (pull)
W: Barbell Squat (push), Stiff-leg deadlift (pull)
F: Overhead Dumbbell Press (push), Lat-Pulldown (pull)

This is just a short example but this should give you an idea about how a push-pull program works. The biceps get a lot of work by doing the pulling movements. Especially if you use a supinated (palms facing you) grip.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/02/01, 09:38 AM
Actually, push/pulls usually look like this.

M Pull
T Push
Th Pull
F Push

The days don't matter, but typically each day is only one direction. What merrillj described is called antagonistic training and is very effective in full body routines. If you only have three days a week to workout, I would do full body or I would modify my rotation like this.

M Push
W Pull
F Push
M Pull
W Push
F Pull

ir.n.lady, I like that you are thinking/questioning your training. Thats how you learn. You are on the right path. As to your question...Your bis and tris would definitly be in a better position to move more weight, but is it better. I don't really know. It won't hurt to try it. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and you find try something else.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 10:30 AM
I guess what I was describing is the way I am doing it based on the book by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler, "The New Rules of Lifting." I think Alwyn is a fan of Antogonist training using alternate sets to save time.