Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Torn meniscus and spur....

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/15, 10:10 AM
Hi. I went to the Dr. last night to find out if my knee is ok since I've had a lot of pain in it, and it's buckled on me a few times very recently. I learned that based on his initial review (range of motion, feeling the area, pain points, etc) that I have a torn meniscus with a little spur thing coming out of it? I may be explaining the spur thing wrong. I have to "pop" my knee several times through the day or am not able to move it correctly and it's very painful. He said that what's happening is that my TCL (?)(inside of knee) is getting caught on the spur, and when I "pop" my knee it's popping the ligiment off the spur which is why it feels so good when I do it. So, I'm on Naprosyn 500mg twice a day, ice 30 minutes after work plus after exercise and I'm to limit my exercise to 20 minutes of cardio a couple times a week(aerobics type, no repetitive motion like treadmill, eliptical), no squats, lunges, weight lifting that requires knee bending. If it doesn't correct in 30 days with the rest, reduced exercise, ice and medication then I have to go in for an MRI and possibly some antroscopic (?) surgery to correct.
I'm totally bummed. Anyway, the only exercises that I can think of to work my lower body that don't use my knees much would be deadlifts maybe (would these be ok?), calf raises, leg adductors and abductors. Can't think of anything to work my quads though. Any suggestions would be great. I'm still in the biggest loser contest, and pretty worried about how I'll do if I can't exercise enough! Thanks all.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/16, 01:31 PM
Well, maybe I should have done what Mutt did and ask specifically for Steve. lol.
So.... STEVE! Can you help me? :) I forgot that you were the resident sports medicine expert. lol
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/01/16, 04:54 PM
I had some knee pain awhile back and went to therapy for it. One of the exercises my therapist gave me was straight leg raises. Put an ankle weight on, sit down, and lift one of your legs straight up about 6 inches and hold it for 5-10 seconds. I was doing 30 on each leg. It's a good strengthener for your inner thigh. You can also play around with it by pointing your toe either to the inside or outside. That's the only one I know of, but I hope it helps!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/01/22, 10:53 AM
as far as sport medicine goes, I will always defer to the advice of a dr., especially when I am not present to give an analysis. You would be surprised how important seeing someone is.

As far as rehabilitation, this can be tough, and isn't something I'm highly familiar with (i mostly do cumulative trauma disorders, etc). if arthoscopic surgery is needed, that is the first priority and rehab begins after that. High dose anti-inflammatories and anything that gets blood into the region will help speed recovery.

Calf raises will get blood to that area, but be careful about doing straight leg variations since the gastroc (calf muscle used in straight leg variations) does connect to the femur, and can cause what we call shelfing. I'd be careful with deadlifts.

As for working the quads, the rectus femoris quadricep muscle also functions as a hip flexor, so bent leg raises will target that. Isometrics are also a good idea, and might be worth looking into.

As far as surgery, generally patients return to light training in 2-3 weeks and full maximal lifting within 1-3 months.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/22, 06:49 PM
Thanks a ton wrestler. this is very helpful. The heavy doses of anti-inflamitories and ice cycles are helping it seems, the pain is less extreme and less frequent. Good to know about deadlifts. I did those on Sunday, my hubby caught me and said "What the hell are you thinking!?" I thought he was wrong. I hate it when he's right. lol.
I'm starting a water aerobics class tomorrow. I'm sure it's not the level of workout that I'm used to, but it's better than nothing and at least keeps me active while I recover, or prepare for surgery, whichever route I end up going.
Thanks again for the tips. I really appreciate it.
216chinook
216chinook
Canada
2008/02/21, 04:33 PM
Amy, I have the similar injury. The tear was confirmed by MRI in November, I had to ask my MD about physiotherapy. He agreed it might help, so 3 session into it negligable progress, I was still on NSAID's. Then 2 weeks ago, a collegue of my therapist overhead our discussion and suggested (just like Wrestler identified) isometric exercises. Well, in a week, the joint is stronger, my need for NSAID's is greatly reduced (almost eliminated). In my province, I'm not a priority for being seen by an Orthopod. My knee doesnt lock up, and it sort of works (hand fulls of NSAID's. I was refered to the best knee guy in the city who is not acceping new patients until June and it could November by the time I get assessed and no idea when surgey would be.

So, strengthing the knee has been my only hope of staying active until I get assessed by the surgeon.

--------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Albert Einstein (1879–1955)

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/22, 10:32 AM
That was me.