Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How to train arms shoulders.

sonia08
sonia08
United Kingdom
2008/01/13, 12:09 PM
Hello,

I am a lady getting married soon and want to know how to train my arms and shoulders, so they are tonned and defined. I don't want big arms, i just want to be able to see the muscle and definition.
My arms are currently 12", when i tense them they feel hard, but relaxed they look fat. I want to have defined shoulders and arms. I know all about the clean diet and cardio to lose the fat, which i currently want to lose 28lbs. I just need how to train with weights.
Heavy or light?
How many reps/sets?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I started cardio last week with a healthy clean diet and have lost 5lbs in a week. I get to the gym for 6.15am everyday apart from weekend, and do cardio for 30mins, will up the cardio, but just wanted to ease into it first.
Hope you can advise.
Thanx
Sonia x
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/01/13, 10:23 PM
Try a program from here and add in the extra shoulders routine. That should satisfy you it works all 3 sides of the shoulder and with the full body workout you will look great!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/14, 12:01 AM
For what you want, you will want to do high repetitions with lower weights. For example, if you are doing the Military Press, you could do 4 sets set 1 has 15 18 reps, set 2 has 16 reps, set 3 has 14 reps and set 4 has 12 reps.. and so on and so on. You will want to keep the weights low, but I would suggest training with actual weights (dumbbells) rather than machines if you would like more definition.

Some great exercises are listed below, if you work out at a gym, you should be able to ask one of the assistants there to help you with form if you haven't done it before or you could even look up the different exercises here on FT and see how do to them. Good luck!

Shoulders are split up into three heads, front, side and rear, so here are some for each

Front : Front Dumbbell Raises, Military Presses, Behind the Neck Barbbell Presses

Sides: Standing Lateral Raises, Reverse Cable Crossovers, Incline Bench Lateral Raises

Rear: Rear Deltoid Machine Row, Bent Over Dumbbell Laterals, Bent Over Cable Laterals

Biceps & Forearms

Biceps: Standing Barbell Curls, Inclined Dumbbell Curls, Barbell Preacher Curls

Forearms: Seated Barbell Wrist Curls, Seated Reverse Dumbbell Curls, Behind the Back Barbell Wrist Curls

Triceps: Lying Tricep Extension (Skullcrushers), Tricep Pushdowns, Dips

:):):dumbbell:

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
sonia08
sonia08
United Kingdom
2008/01/14, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the response, although i'm abit confused now, when i used to train 2 years ago with a personla trainer, he advised me to train with heavy weights and lower reps.

Can anyone advise what is the best? i did see results then, but just want to confirm it.

Thanx for the exercises ravenbeauty, much appreciated. x
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/14, 12:01 PM
if you are wanting to lose 28 lbs that is a substantial amount of weight, so doing higher reps with lower weight will not only increase your fat burn, it will also define your muscles as you wish rather than bulk them up.

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/14, 12:03 PM
If you want to actually add more muscle to your arms, then you could do lower reps, higher weight, adding weight with each set to failure. Just depends on how you want to look.

Good luck!

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
sonia08
sonia08
United Kingdom
2008/01/14, 01:35 PM
Thanx Raven,

I want to lose the weight and see the definition on my arms, not like women body building arms, more fitness model arms, with definition just enough to see the muscles.
So what do you suggest?
Thanx x