Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Fibromyalgia, energy and exercise

kaoldt
kaoldt
United States
2007/12/12, 06:24 PM
I did a search and I found a few older posts on Fibromyalgia. I'm having trouble with energy in the morning and was wondering if there was something that I could do or take that would give me a bit of a boost of energy to get through a workout. If I get too tired or push myself too hard I'm going to end up in bed for a couple days. Also a couple of the exercises in my fitness plan I know that I cannot do yet. I can get on the treadmill and on the exercise bike (I've been fighting my underweight 7 yr old for it today). My greatest fear is hurting myself and not being able to exercise. Tina
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/16, 11:00 PM
Exercise is very important to fibromyalgia if your doctor gives the A-OK, just as in most diseases that cause stiffing and soreness of muscles, it is pertinent that you are able to keep yourself flexible. You may want to incorporate a good stretching program into your routine, possible a beginner yoga/pilates to keep the flexibility going. As far as energy, you may be able to drink a protein drink -try 1/2 when you begin your workout and the other 1/2, 1/2 the way through the workout, make sure to drink plenty of fluids. If you find that you are very low on energy, a nice walk may refresh you, on the treadmill or outside, keeping it at a nice stride, but you can increase it for about 45 seconds to one minute and then back to the slower pace, back and forth like this whenever you can, that way you are able to control your energy more. Adding weights is great, but if you just recently started working out consistently, take it easy, check with your doctor for routines, exercises and help with possibly energy solutions (B-12, etc.). Most importantly, keep moving, it is tough, I worked at Curves as a trainer and there were many that were stricken with Fibromyalgia, joining them may help with your routine as they are able to help you with machines that can specifically focus on helping you. Great to have you here!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/12/17, 11:06 AM
There have been recent studies that show a link between hypoglycemia and FM... you may want to have your sugar checked.

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/12/21, 11:01 AM
My mother and sister both have fibro... My mother does really well with morning yoga and she rides her recumbent bike for about 15 minutes a day. She did have good energy and felt better when we had her lifting weights on a regular basis - we stuck with lighter weights, non-impactive movements and always good form.

I disagree about curves - I have seen too many people end up with joint injuries from their workouts.
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/12/21, 02:49 PM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

My mother and sister both have fibro... My mother does really well with morning yoga and she rides her recumbent bike for about 15 minutes a day. She did have good energy and felt better when we had her lifting weights on a regular basis - we stuck with lighter weights, non-impactive movements and always good form.

I disagree about curves - I have seen too many people end up with joint injuries from their workouts.
=============

Oh I cant agree more about curves. It has it's place... but not in reality. (No offense Veda) The 3 we have around here are laughable. Funniest thing I ever heard was the manager of the one here saying they have studies showing that 1/2 hour of their workout is more effective than 2 hours of free weights. I almost choked when she told me that.

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
kaoldt
kaoldt
United States
2007/12/21, 03:54 PM
Can't afford Curves or any other gym for that matter so it's a moot point. My exercise has been put on hold until I'm over this cold anyway. I also have asthma and any extra exertion just sends me into paroxyms of coughing and makes me wet myself (TMI, I know). I'm barely able to do the minimum to care of my 3 kids who are also coughing themselves silly. In another week I'm sure I'll be able to get exercising more. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike so that will help. Tina
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/22, 09:08 PM
:dumbbell::dumbbell:I am a strong advocate of weight training, don't believe anything can get you where you need to be health wise, energy wise, strength wise; but I have to add, no one should laugh at anything that gets people up and moving --now I certainly don't believe that Curves has a long-term effect on women, but I have seen women that had ZIP, notta, no self-confidence and nothing but fear of going into a true "gym" --and I have seen some where their husbands would not allow them in a gym where men go (sad) and most Curves are set up in SMALL towns where there is no other means of a gym setting where encouragement and motivation can be amplified, so in these cases if it takes a Curves or any other exercise facility to get some women off the couch and moving when they wouldn't do so otherwise, I wouldn't laugh, I would be happy they were able to find something that they liked to do and MOST find that self-confidence and then realize that they need more and will go out and find it in a better facility IF the managers are doing their job --or they might get their own weights. I have met people here on this site that do go to a Curves or something similar because they like to get out with others and there is nothing else offered, so laughing or putting down an exercise facility where it may possibly do someone some good, should not be "exercised". I lost 28 pounds when I was at Curves years ago, that was ALL we had in our town and it helped me get up the nerve to even walk outside in my gym shoes. As far as joint's being injured, that is due to members refusing to use equipment right, they often get lazy or tired or just plain won't listen, and the staff is suppose to correct them to avoid injuries, just as in anything else, you must take great care in how you work out and how you train. Don't get me wrong, I am not, nor have been for many years, a Curves fan, but I am deligent about people not condeming someone's choice of exercise. I did Curves and it gave me the energy where I went and bought my own weights and did Curves for cardio and my regular weight training, so there is nothing wrong with it as a cardio routine. I quit because I tried to teach members how to use the equipment right and nutritional assistance and help with knowledge on other options and found that I would go to visit other Curves and they had managers there that could give a hoot what or how members were working out --and that is wrong and that can create injuries and inaccurate information can be detrimental (i.e.; real weight training gives women bulky, bulging muscles) People do lose weight there and if they become successful in becoming healthier I think that is wonderful, not everyone likes weights, that is too bad, but like treadmills and such, some make choices to do cardio more and being on FT we know that weights are the ultimate choice, but some are not ready for that yet and I hope they do something and then find the education and drive to move on to better things!

============
Quoting from georgiagirl:

=============

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/22, 09:14 PM
As has been mentioned before, ANY exercise that gets you up and moving and feeling better is a start!! You don't have to go overboard, just take it as you can do it, adding more time, more challenges as you can take it, but keep moving forward!! :)

Hope you recover from your cold quickly and encourage you to drink plenty of fluids when you start working out and don't get discouraged, but don't overdue it, either, as I mentioned, check with your doctor, he may have some helpful exercises that will interfer less with your difficulties of asthma and fibro.

:)

============
Quoting from kaoldt:

Can't afford Curves or any other gym for that matter so it's a moot point. My exercise has been put on hold until I'm over this cold anyway. I also have asthma and any extra exertion just sends me into paroxyms of coughing and makes me wet myself (TMI, I know). I'm barely able to do the minimum to care of my 3 kids who are also coughing themselves silly. In another week I'm sure I'll be able to get exercising more. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike so that will help. Tina
=============

--------------
Veda

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/12/24, 07:36 AM
"I quit because I tried to teach members how to use the equipment right and nutritional assistance and help with knowledge on other options and found that I would go to visit other Curves and they had managers there that could give a hoot what or how members were working out --and that is wrong and that can create injuries and inaccurate information can be detrimental (i.e.; real weight training gives women bulky, bulging muscles)"

Veda - therein lies the problem - the owners and operators are rarely qualified in any manner to run a 'fitness' facility.

If Curves is all you have access to, then risk it, but in my professional opinion (not trying to 'put anyone down' or laugh at anyone) but as a professional in the business i would rather see you do bodyweight workouts at home than go to curves. The Impact of the curves exercises, the rate they move through the machines and the lack of certified trainers sets you up for injury, which I have seen. The people I know/have trained after injury were not the types who don't listen - they were doing exactly as instructed by the curves employees.

You need to distinguish between someone with professional education trying to warn you away from a bad training experience and someone just trying to be catty and slam someone. I am not, and I don't think georgiagirl was either, trying to personally attack or discourage anyone. I am simply saying you would be better/safer/get better results from the at-hom workout generated here than by wating you money and possibly getting injured at a curves facility.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

kaoldt
kaoldt
United States
2007/12/24, 11:08 AM
Well, I wasn't trying to turn this into a Curves debate. At any rate, I can't afford to go to any kind of a gym. I do have a treadmill and a stationary bike. I have been sick and I have to admit I tried that 5 hr energy stuff just to get through some housework the other day because I'm so tired and achy. I am going to start taking a walk in the morning with the kids and hopefully that will start making me feel a bit more energized to do what I have to do during the day. I don't have a lot of support here at home so I'm really hoping that this forum will keep me encouraged to keep on going. I just turned 39 and I'm short, fat and unhealthy. Can't fix the short, but I can do something about the other two problems. I want to be a good example to my children. Tina
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/12/28, 08:21 AM
Tina,
I am sorry, this shouldn't have become a curves debate...I think the holidays brings out the grinch in me and I tend to debate more...

The best things you can do for your self and your kids - what you are doing - gentle walks to begin with, gradually adding time each week. Start cleaning up your diet - cut out refined and processed foods as much as possible. Include essenatial fats in your diet - either by eating walnuts and fish on a daily basis or by getting some supplemental oil like Barlean's essential woman or Udo's perfect blend. Esentail oils will help reduce systemic inflammation, which I think plays into your fibro achiness.

Drink plenty of water, herbal and green tea. eat every 2-3 hours and alwys have a source of protein and some healthy carbs (an apple and some string cheese and walnuts, a tuna salad over greens, some brown rice and chicken.

A gentle exercise program you can do at home with no equipment is yoga - look at your local library for dvd's on beginner yoga - or check online, there are some sights with free demonstartions to follow.

When you are wiped out with a flare-up, your body is telling you to rest. Take care of yourslef and be kind to yourslef the way you would take care of your child or friend when they don't feel well.

There are probably also specific fibro sites that would have more people who are going through exactly what you are, if you are looking for more support. We try to be supportive here, but I think it is always good to have more support around!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle