Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Explosive training

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/22, 07:25 PM
I've forgotten the appropriate intensity, reppage and settage. And can I superset explosive lifting with heavier work?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/23, 12:53 AM
Ummm...veeeerrryy broad term there.

But...I am assuming you're talkin about dynamic lifting. Generally higher sets (6-9?) and lower reps (2-4?) at medium poundage (40-60%?) usually with a minute or less rest between sets.

Superset? I'm not sure, but it has been said to be effective to do a heavy set or two at the end of a dynamic workout. For example, a set with 90% after doing 6 dynamic sets.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/24, 11:23 AM
You generally use a shorter rest for dynamic effort work, so supersetting it with heavy work might not be as effective. Of course, it might be more effective because the speed work generally acts as proprioception and gets the nervous system ready. Try a few heavy sets at the end of a dynamic workout if you are feeling fast.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/24, 10:49 PM
Saw this and thought of you (aren't I sweet)
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1149303&pageNo=217

12th or so reply down.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/25, 07:27 PM
I noticed that the first post talked about how high intensity ballistic exercises should be kept to a minimum due to their impact on the nervous system. This got me wondering though...isn't heavy work high intensity ballistic work in a sense? I mean you're trying to accelerate the load as quickly as possible, it just moves slowly because it's heavy. The exercises that were listed as high intensity didn't seem to terribly intense from a weight lifting perspective either.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/25, 08:00 PM
Ballistic in a strength training sense doesn't mean you're trying to accelerate it. Think dynamic effort bench where you don't try to decellerate on the way down, and bounce off your chest and go.

Other than that, you are right. And yes, high intensity (percentage of 1 rep max) exercises should also be kept within a reasonable volume level.

And an exercise itself can't be intensive or non-intensive. What makes an exercise intensive is how much weight you are using, which is the real measure of intensity, although naturally some exercises are more TAXING and produce more strain than others.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk