Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

crossfit

yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2007/11/12, 03:40 PM
Has anybody either heard of or tried the crossfit program? My dad does it all the time and it seems to work for him so I figured I'd give it a try. I did it for the first time today, and it's hard! :laugh: I was just wondering if anybody else has tried it and gotten any results from it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/12, 05:31 PM
Depends on what you want for results. This is the powerlifting forum, so it would hardly suit our needs, seeing as it has a nasty side effect of making people weaker.

I also can't stand how those who follow crossfit are like members of a cult.

I used it a couple times preseason to bring up my conditioning levels (in addition to normal lifting). The second time I did it, though, I made lots of changes. Specifically with the cycling of workouts, and which workouts I did. The way it is set up is practically retarded. I'm sure if doing random workouts on random days with no visible form of progression was more effective, then the russians would have figured it out years ago.

My senior year preseason (after 2 years of using crossfit) I continued my normal lifting with decreased volume and added in tabata workouts and complexes. This worked MUCH better than either of the times I did crossfit. I came in fully ready for the season and had a great year.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2007/11/12, 07:19 PM
How does it make you weaker?

I do understand what you mean about the randomness in the way it's set up though. My dad does it the way you did the second time. He picks from certain workouts of theirs and makes routines out of it that way. Do you think that doing it that way is more effective in the long run?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/12, 10:03 PM
Coach has critics because he doesn't do things like that, and still calls others out regularly. Any man that talks that much shit better be able to put up more at least 500 after a lifetime of training. This thread isn't about him though.

Everyone I know who was lifting regular and tried doing this for a while, their max lifts went down, way down. Max lifting takes a back seat to conditioning, this is why people get weaker doing crossfit. There is a saying among powerlifters, something about how crossfit will make your deadlift go from 600 to 400, but you'll be in better shape. You won't be able to bench press 225, but you'll be in better shape.

However, those doing crossfit are generally doing real exercises, at the very least. Overhead squats, deadlifts, and "muscle-ups" make up a large portion of the program.

Crossfit is popular because of the immense propaganda ("if you were in the navy seals, you would train like this..." etc) and because it is simple. Many people want to know EXACTLY what to do and be told weights, sets, and reps. How many questions a week do we get on here, "what sets, what reps, how much weight, etc" and we don't give direct answers because, well... there aren't any. However, crossfit takes the guesswork out. This is both a positive for many people, and a huge negative.

In addition, the workouts are ever changing, so boredom never comes into play, and trainees are encouraged to post times, weights, etc., so people remain motivated.

All in all, if you weigh the positives and negatives, you may or may not find that it would be a good fit for you.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/11/13, 08:13 AM
Well said, I mainly just occasionally glean the odd, new exercise or two that I've never seen from crossit and use them when I want in place of something else. Hanging knees to elbows, stuff like that.

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2007/11/13, 09:36 AM
Alright, so basically crossfit will get me into better shape, but I wouldn't want to do it if I needed high maxes to compete and stuff like that, right?

When you say that taking the guesswork out is a negative, do you mean it's because some people could be doing more and some people shouldn't be doing as much as it tells them to do?