Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

water retention

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/05/12, 09:40 PM
Anyone know the best foods that help shed water?
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/05/12, 10:48 PM
avoid foods that make you hold on to it.. eg. High salt contents, and fatty foods. Cucumbers are great for shedding water.

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/13, 02:17 AM
And drink!!!! Drink until you get sick and tired of it....... then more water...... The best thing against water retention before a competition. Just drink way too much and then start slowing down two-three days before the contest day. No water (well almost) the big day and if you got a sauna then jump in it.

You'll feel dehydrated but since it's only for a very short time, then no danger for your body.

Of course now you could play with the sodium and potassium balance as well, but that's more tricky and you have to be careful.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/24, 06:52 PM
This is what has worked for me and I've heard has worked for others:

6 to 3 days before competition, reduce your carb intake to less than 100 grams a day, eat 4 to 5 small meals a day, and drink lots of water ( aprox. 1 gram per pound of body weight.)

2 days before competition, you want to refill your glycogen stores, which will make your skin tighter. Elimanate all junk food and increase your carb intake to 70% of daily calories. Avoid salt and sodium-laden canned food to keep water retention low. Taper your water intake to about a quart a day. Your skin should look razor thin by comp time.

--------------
Anything can be done
perfectfit2U
perfectfit2U
United States
2002/10/23, 10:27 PM

============
Quoting from Philia2:

And drink!!!! Drink until you get sick and tired of it....... then more water...... The best thing against water retention before a competition. Just drink way too much and then start slowing down two-three days before the contest day. No water (well almost) the big day and if you got a sauna then jump in it.

You'll feel dehydrated but since it's only for a very short time, then no danger for your body.

Of course now you could play with the sodium and potassium balance as well, but that's more tricky and you have to be careful.

=============
I agree along with the High water intake I would add about 3 4 maybe even 5000 mg of vitamin c it is an antioxidant and will help