Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

vegan protein shake

kerrierou
kerrierou
United States
2007/10/14, 10:53 AM
im am vegan (the strictest form of vegetarian). i do not eat any meat (including fish), and i also do not eat any animal products- eggs, milk, cheese, etc. i went to the nurtition store and there were soooo many protein powders. but they all had milk in them....most were whey protein. i asked the guy and he said they had one that was lactose free, but i looked at the ingredients and it had milk in it (just not the lactose). i was wondering if anyone knew of a protein shake without milk in it, probaly have to be soy i guess. i found one at stop and shop but it was the worst tasting thing in the world no matter what i did to it. does anyone know of one that i can maybee find online??? and do you know how it tastes? thank you!

oh and btw, please do not comment on here just to say that being vegan is unhealthy, and that i am malnourished and i need meat, and how i cant possibly be getting enough nutrients. i have done much research on the matter, and being vegetarian/vegan is one of the healthiest diets. my doctor did vitiam, mineral, and cholesterol tests on me and said that i was perfectly fine. by blood pressure, heart rate, and oxygen level is perfect. she said im one of her healthiest patients. and i am not extra thin and malnourished. i am a good weight with lean muscle, i lift weights 3 times a week and do cardio every day. i have more energy and feel better than i ever had when i was a meat eater. i take a multi-vitamin which most people do anyways, and get my b vitamins. i eat nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains for protein. i do get enough, but id rather have a protein shake once and a while so i done have to worry about it sometimes. sorry for typing so much, im just kind of sick of seeing vegans/vegetarians post questions and most of the replies are people not trying to help them out, but telling them how its impossible to be healthy and so on. if you havent reasearched it, then dont reply on it. i am taking a health and wellness class in college and right there in the book it says that if done right, a vegan diet can be one of the healthiest forms of eating. sorry again for the rambling, thanks in advance for any help on the matter :)
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/15, 09:03 AM
How long have you been vegan? I'm not trying to debate the validity of your claims, but if you've only been vegan for like a week then I'd say you need time to let your body adapt before making claims like you do above.
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/10/15, 10:38 AM
you will have to go with the Soy versions. I agree they taste like CRAP... but then again thats why I am NOT vegan cause I actually like the taste of meat and dairy. Why exactly are you vegan? You can be just as healthy and have more choices eating normal.
kerrierou
kerrierou
United States
2007/10/24, 10:02 PM
ecle5c - i have been vegan for 9 months now, so yes my body has adapted and i am healthier than i have ever been.

georgiagirl - i am vegan not for health reasons but for my morals and beliefs. i dont want to be any part of animal cruelty and suffering when there are other foods i can eat that are just as healthy or healthier, which don't cause animaly to be treated as inhumanely as they are. i found out about the health benefits afterwards, so thats just a plus for me.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/24, 10:38 PM
Go with the soy, and you can also make tofu shakes in a blender! I'm not a fan of tofu but it is do-able.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
kerrierou
kerrierou
United States
2007/10/25, 08:06 PM
thanks carivan. yeah i tried the tofu shake. not a big fan either, but i dont mind it.
marblez
marblez
Canada
2007/12/08, 10:05 AM
Hi kerrierou,

Even soy protein shakes are not vegan, they contain caesin which is a milk product. Try veganfitness.net for information.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/12/09, 11:14 AM
Check into Rice protein. You can even add in Hemp.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

buggie7269
buggie7269
United States
2007/12/22, 02:07 AM
Hate to post before I even introduce myself, but I'm vegetarian hoping to go vegan, have been for 5 years and I actually find more things to eat as a vegetarian than I ever did eating meat. There's such a wide variety of foods to eat. It's never ending. Did you know also that there are a lot of atheletes that are vegan or vegetarian?

============
Quoting from georgiagirl:

you will have to go with the Soy versions. I agree they taste like CRAP... but then again thats why I am NOT vegan cause I actually like the taste of meat and dairy. Why exactly are you vegan? You can be just as healthy and have more choices eating normal.
=============