Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

undulating P: importance of const. vol.

Aze
Aze
Pakistan
2007/08/23, 06:07 PM
Hello,

I started strength training 3 weeks ago, just trying to keep set reps close to 9, and I just discovered undulating periodization thanks to this message board!

I read some posts on periodization, and I wanted to clarify something. The bodybuilding.com article on UP (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn3.htm) said:

"The Different Types Of Periodization:

Linear Periodization is when the reps are decreased each successive phase and the loads are increased e.g. phase one 15 reps, phase two 12 reps, phase three 10 reps, phase four 8 reps.

Alternating Periodization is when the trainee switches between higher reps and lower reps at each phase - e.g. phase one 15 reps, phase two 8 reps, phase three, 12 reps, phase four 6 reps etc "

Is maintaining nearly the same volume at each phase of the cycle the distinguishing feature of UP? If not, then a three phase UP cycle with reps per set 3, 8, 5 is just a three phase linear periodization (step wise?) cycle displaced by one phase, and a UP cycle like 2, 12, 4, 6 is just an alternating periodization cycle displaced by one phase.

How much difference is there between a UP cycle with the highest intensity phase having one third the volume of the lowest intensity phase, and one with all phases having the same volume? In an effort to make the phase volumes uniform, is it worthwhile to make the high intensity sets easier? More sets could be completed, but they would only partially fatigue (at least those in the begining).

Is undulating within workouts essentially UP with two or more phases per workout? In this, does one simply concentrate on keeping the volume per workout constant?

Thanks
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/23, 11:28 PM
First off, your getting hung up on terminology. There is a post in the powerlifting forum about periodization, we went over undulating as one of the forms.

Now, maintaining consistent volume is not always the objective. When training for mass, there is a certain rep range that is best for hypertrophy, so our objective is to get a minimum number of repetitions, so the fewer the reps, the higher the intensity and the greater the number of sets.

However, with greater intensity, the optimum number of reps for hypertrophy decreases, so while one may do 3*10, when they change to sets of 3, they may only do 6 sets, giving us 18 repetitions. If these sets are close to a 3rm, it would be impossible to get 10 sets of 3. In this case, it comes down to your objective. While someone after strength would see 5 sets of 3 as fitting, someone aiming for hypertrophy would aim for 10 sets of 3 at a lesser (or decreasing) intensity.

Another thing to take into account, is the time of your workouts. When training at a 3rm, I recommend 3-5 minutes rest. However, with higher rep sets, there is less neural fatigue, and so rest time can be cut down significantly. 6 x 3 at 85% maximum can take up to a half hour including set time, while 3*10 can often be done within a 10 minute space.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Aze
Aze
Pakistan
2007/08/24, 07:40 AM
The way I post, I think I'm going to get a lot of this "null" business. :/
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/26, 02:57 PM
UP is just another variation of abrupt periodization. Really, there are such slight differences, that it turns out to be more of an art than a science.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk