Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

hey, need help..

drcobalt
drcobalt
Bangladesh
2007/06/29, 06:31 AM
i hope someone here acn help me. i've been around to alot of message-boards and heaps of different fitness places but i never get more than a few words of vague advice that never leads anywhere! basically, i want to lose weight. i'm 5'6, 20 years old, and weigh 63 kilograms (i'm male). ye,s this may sound relatively skinny, but for my height it isn't really. i still have alot of fat on me and i want to flatten my stomach. over the past 3 months or so i've completely adopted healthy eating, which is great. and since, i've dropped from 75 kilos to what i am now. i also weight-train and jog an awful lot. but at the moment, my weight loss has stagnated. i KNOW it could possibly be a weight-loss plaetau, but right now i'm not sure whether it is or not. so going with that, i'm just going to be continuing doing what i am now. but i need help in the daily calorie department.

how many calories do i need to eat a day? i've heard heaps of different figures and all the different results ive got from this question has outright confused me. i want to maintain my lean body mass but shed my body fat. how many calories should i consume to do this? and if i do exercise that day, do i have to make up for that by eating more calories? at the moment i want to lose body fat, but i kind of don't know what a safe fgigure of calories is to do this without hacking into my lean body mass as well :( sorry if i seem a little rude in this message, but i'm totally boggled as to what to do and i'm very much hoping for some proper advice (this time...).

if it's not my daily calories, then i'm going to assume it's a weight loss plateau. but otherwise, my weight has been goign nowhere in the last while, and it's been frustrating me so much to know my long term fitness goals are being delayed terribly and i'm making absolutely no progress at them moment.

thanks for your help.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/29, 07:53 AM
How many calories have you been averaging?

At 63 kg...138.6 lbs...minimum 1800 - 2,000 ...more if you want to focus on gaining muscle.

If you eat clean (adequate protein, complex carbs, good fats) you should be able to break your plateau by getting enough calories and working out.

You don't mention your workout routine - maybe that is the problem?

What is your daily diet like? What is your workout routine?

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
drcobalt
drcobalt
Bangladesh
2007/06/29, 08:14 AM
thanks for replying.

are you sure about 1800? all the other figures i have confronted have been relatively less (around 200 cal less)-- remember i'm 5'6, so i'm not sure i need as much food as taller guys. at the moment i'm not that interested in gaining that much muscle (only retaining my current lean body mass-- i want to lose more body fat at th emoment)

so i'll give a rundown of what i am usually consuming on a day to day basis. here's the foods i normally eat;

lots of tomatoes
vegetables like brocolli/cawliflower/onions/sometimes potatoes/carrots/mushrooms/peas/chickpeas/baby spinnach

usually a tin of tuna or salmon a day in a wholemeal bread sandwich

usually three eggs a day (fried, but in a small amount of olive oil)

for breakfast either museli in low-fat milk or oatmeal in a bit of milk + a banana

plenty of apples

chicken breast/steak

almonds

brown rice

i think i average about 1700 calories lately.

as for my workout routine, i sorta don't know if i have one. i kinda just focus on all my muscle groups by the week by using the various machines/free weights each day i'm at the gym, plus cardio like jogging/exercise bike and stuff like that. (if i'm doing anything wrong, please tell me! I'm still new at all of this and need all of the advice you can give).
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/06/29, 08:34 AM
Sign up for an exercise routine through this site. Your workout seems like you just kind of do what you feel like each day.

You need a documented and regimented workout. Sign up for one.

Sorry, not going to comment on the diet, not too knowledgable in that department.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/29, 04:02 PM
Your calories are calculated by weight not height.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin