Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Sticky Cardio Challenges

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/05/24, 01:52 PM
Thank you amy! I love that second post with the cardio idea. I HATE cardio with every ounce of my soul, I've been slacking on it lately, making up excuses, "Darn, whoever used the treadmill last turned on the news channel. I hate the news. No cardio today!" (yes, I know I can change the channel, but then it wouldn't work as an excuse! I think that I could actually handle this workout, and I could do it with my son and it would be a bunch of fun. May even throw a bicycle ride into the mix there somewhere.
I'll have to look at the first post again. Looks like fun too. THANKS!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 12:17 PM
Here is one I posted in the WSSC cardio thread - i really like and have done it a few times now:

Do it on a day intended for longer duration cardio - it takes about 50-55 minutes.

Warm-up 3 minutes
jump rope for 100 revolutions
power walk 15 minutes on the tread mill, varying your incline and speed to challenge yourself
jump rope 100 revolutions
power walk 15 minutes same as 1st tredamill interval
jumprope 100 revolutions
power walk 12 minutes, varying incline and speed, push hard a few minutes here and there...
cool down 3 minutes, or until your heart rate recovers to a fairly normal rate.

I did this today and it felt fantastic!!!!! Your heart rate will skyrocket with the jump rope, then recover a bit on the treadmill - but the incline should keep you up in your cardio zone.

Have fun!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 12:15 PM
I don't know about you all, but i am always looking for ways to switch up my cardio...endlessly running on a treadmill or elliptical can be a bit dull.

I have created a seperate post about workout dvd's and videos, so I won't include those here.

In this post I am going to post new cardio routines as I find them and try them - feel free to add your own favorite cardio challenges! I can use the variety :)

The first one is called "A deck of cardio"

One warning - if you do the push-ups girl style on your knees, use a mat underneath your knees - i started out regular style push-ups, but eventually switched to girl-style and got a nasty floor burn on one knee!:surprised:

Okay - get a deck of cards - I have one with big numbers, worked really well for this...

Warm-up a few minutes, place the deck on the floor in front of you and start turning over cards (have fun!:)):

When you turn over a black suit number card do that number of push-ups.

When you turn over a red suit number card do that number of bodyweight squats.

When you turn over a black face card do 10 monutain climbers (ten per leg in).

When you turn over a red face card do alternating lunges, 10 per leg. I do step back lunges, easier on the knees.

The whole workout will take about 20 minutes, not including warm-up/cool-down.

When you feel it has gotten easy - plyo a fe of the lunge sets , push-ups and squats - lots of power and lots of fun! You could also switch what type of exercise you do for each type of card....endless possibilities - have fun - and don't get floor burn!:)

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

RudolfRyan
RudolfRyan
Philippines
2007/05/31, 05:08 AM
i might try that cardio and jumprope challenge, its quite interesting.. =)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/19, 08:57 AM
Here is a fun treadmill routine - it is for those days you don't have much time! 20 minutes and it gets your heart pumping!

beginners - keep your speed at 3.5, more advanced people can go up to 5 mph.

RPE = rate of perceived exertion - with 1 being no exertion at all and 10 being about to pass out :)

The speed for most people will be around 4mph, you are powerwalking but not jogging.
Your speed stays constant, the change in incline will make it harder..
Minutes Incline RPE
0:00 - 5:00 3 - 3.5 5
5:00 - 7:00 8-10 7
7:00 - 8:00 4-6 6
8:00 - 10:00 10 8
10:00 - 11:00 5-7 7
11:00 - 13:00 12 9
13:00 - 14:00 10 8
14:00 - 15:00 12 9
15:00 - 20:00 2-4 5 cooling down to 2 or 3 :)

Have fun!

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/20, 09:44 AM
Here is a new one I just did yesterday!

Warm-up for 5 minutes on the treadmill, then gradually increase the incline and speed to a fast walk, incline about 3. Go for 5 minutes, stop and on the floor next to the treadmill do the following:
10 8-count bodybuilders (explanation to follow)
10 per side mountain climbers
30 per side (alternating) fake jump roppe, double hop on each foot

Now go back to the treadmill, ramp it back up to fast walk, incline 3-5 and go for 5 minutes.

repeat the whole thing until you have done 30-35 minutes toatl, cooling down for 5 minutes on the treadmill, gradually slowing down and reducing the incline to zero.

Okay - 8 count bodybuilders:

1) drop into a crouch
2) thrust your feet out behind you (into a plank position)
3) down pahse of push-up
4) up phase of push-up
5) pop your toes out wide
6) pop your toes back in
7) bring your feet back under you (crouch position)
8) pop up to standing

Repeat!

Have fun!:big_smile:

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

brwnsuga980
brwnsuga980
United States
2007/07/21, 12:20 AM
It says with the nutritional goal for me to lose weight is to consume 3274 calories, How am I going to lose weight consuming that many calories.???
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/21, 10:39 AM
That is high - this site tends to calculate high.

If you look in the FAQs forum there is a post about figuring out your caloric needs.

This thread isn't exactly the place for this question:)

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

somethin4mark
somethin4mark
United States
2007/07/22, 06:43 PM
i really really like cardo that involves pushups and such rather then just the treadmill, cant wait to give the bodybuilder challenge a try

--------------
Excusses are like a**holes, everyones got one, and they all stink
magdalenecox
magdalenecox
United States
2007/08/07, 01:51 PM
Okay, I am not giving up but I need advice. I am stuck ar 155 and have been for 2 months. Last week I decided to increase my cardio even more and I also eat really well (5-6 times a day, small portions). I need advice, because I wil loose weight, but then that time of month comes and i get it back and have to start all over again. Anything would great.

Magdalene
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/09, 01:44 PM
Again, not really the right thread for this question - you will get more responses if you start a new thread with your question.

I would need to know what you typically eat, how many calories, what your lifting routine is..what type of cardio you are doing.
Increasing your cardio won't necessarily solve your problem - if you are undereating or not eating enough of the right things, that could be stalling your progress.

have you had your body composition checked by a trainer with calipers? this is a good way to figure out how much lean mass you have and how much fat you are carrying. You may find that your goal weight isn't realistic, and you may need to readjust your goals.

I think that more importnat than the weight on the scale is how your clothes are fitting, how firm your body is, how you are feeling. As you get firmer you get denser, so you may weigh the same , or even more than you originally intended.

Lots of questions you need to answer for us to pinpoint the way to get your results coming again.

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/17, 08:37 AM
Here is a routine I have been doing a few times a week - I find it keeps me from getting bored and it really makes me sweat:)

Start walking at a comfortable pace on the treadmill. Walk for 3-5 minutes, until you feel warm. Now ramp the incline up to 8 or 9 and walk for a minute - two minutes uphill when your heart rate is really up and your legs are burning, lower the incline back down and recover for a minute or two. Once your heart rate and breathing have recovered to a moderate level, increase the speed up to a run and run for a minute, then reduce the speed back to a brisk walk and recover for a minute or two. Keep alternating walk/climb/walk run and increasing the incline or speed for the up intervals. Be sure to cool-dwon for 3-5 minutes, leting your heart rate recover before getting off the treadmill and stretching. I do this routine for 20-30 minutes.

Have fun:)

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/29, 10:26 AM

Got up and headed straight for the gym this morning - antsy to try out a new cardio routine (thanks, Nadine :) )...

Did this:

PROGRAM #2
Instructions: This exercise is set up on the treadmill. Be sure to wear running shoes or cross trainers for this cycle. Take long strides and squeeze your butt with each step. If performed properly your hips, hamstrings and gluteus will be fatigued at the end. The cycle involves a powerful walk, an interval of alternating lunges, and a brisk jog. Choose a pace that is challenging yet still allows you to stay within a safe walking stride for the walking and jogging intervals. The jogging pace should be at least 2 points higher than the walk The intervals are as follows: You walk for 2 minutes. Jump off the treadmill leaving it run, and do alternating lunges for 30 seconds. Get back on the treadmill and with the next 30 seconds, set your pace and begin jogging on the minute for 2 minutes.
CYCLE
MINUTES STRIDE
0:00 - 5:00 Walking
5:00 - 5:30 Lunges
6:00 - 8:00 Jogging
8:00 - 10:00 Walking
10:00 - 10:30 Lunges
11:00 - 13:00 Jogging
13:00 - 15:00 Walking
15:00 - 15:30 Lunges
16:00 - 18:00 Jogging
18:00 - 20:00 Walking
20:00 - 20:30 Lunges
21:00 - 30:00 Jogging

The two minute jog/run intervals after lunges, which I did plyo-style, was a killer, i sort jogged/ran/limped along and cut some of the intervals shorter because my lower legs were cramping up :) but overall it was a really good workout.
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/05, 08:31 AM
I hope this fits in here...
I don't have a treadmill at home, and I don't have an exercise bike (I have two mountain-bikes instead).
I have however, a small trampoline, and I use it not just for jumping, but for running and dancing as well. The bounce of the trampoline is easier on my knees and defenatly more fun!
I either do this to my fav tv show, or to some fast music.

Start by running to warm up, then do some small bouncing to get the heart going.
Then vary between running and jumping, placing your feet close together or wide appart or front and back. Try some double jumps as well.
Do some high leg raises, and also some speed increases in short spurts.
I like to include what I think of as a "riding position". Legs appart, toes pointing forward. Bend the knees and lean a bet forward in a jockey-style postition. Then start jumping, keeping the same position. You can really feel it in your nner thighs! Of course, if you were really riding a horse, you would sit up straight, but it's a bit hard to jump that way.
The routine will take about 40 min in front of the TV, or about 7 or 8 songs on a CD, depending on how you do it. The music tends to make me dance more, and there are breaks between songs. Try to find music that follows your heart.

BTW... when you're not used to the trampoline, you should take it easy with the actual jumping and run and dance on it more. Your back will thank you for being careful!

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there...
-----------------------------------
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/09/20, 02:56 PM
here's a good one....

1. Starting position: your left foot is on "A" and your right foot on "B." Hop forward and touch "C" with both feet simultaneously, then continue forward so that your left foot lands on "D" at the same instant your right foot lands on "E." (a total of 2 hops). Now go back to the starting position by reversing what you just did (hopping backward). That's one rep. Repeat for a total of six reps.

2. From the starting position, lift your left foot in the air and with right foot only, hop to "C," "E," "D," "C," "A," and back to "B." That's one rep. Repeat for a total of six reps.

3. Repeat the last drill but using the left foot only (hop to "C," "E," "D," "C," "A," and back to "B.") That's one rep. Repeat for a total of six reps.

4. Repeat the last drill but using both feet, keeping the feet together- this looks somewhat like a skiing drill. Repeat for a total of six reps.

5. This is very similar to drill number one, with a slight variation: When you reach the top of the pattern (left foot on "D" and your right foot on "E."), instead of hopping backward to get back to the starting position, you instead jump-spin and land on the same two dots (only now your left foot will be on "E" and your right foot on "D."), facing the opposite direction. Then hop forward and touch "C" with both feet simultaneously, then continue forward so that your left foot lands on "B" and your right foot on "A." Lastly, jump-spin again to assume the starting position. That's one rep. Repeat for a total of six reps.

Set up like

D E

C

A B

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/09/21, 08:56 AM
Wow - hop scotch!!!!! I will have to try this when my feet are feeling up to it, thanks, Georgiagirl!

--------------
Thomas Carlyle

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/09/21, 09:07 AM
hey... its supposed to have the C centered in the middle of the DE and AB... like a x
deodarant
deodarant
United States
2007/11/02, 11:54 PM
i like the hopscotch idea, but do you have any ideas for people with out treadmils? (other than that one, that is?)
Mls446
Mls446
United States
2007/11/07, 11:29 AM
Here is one HIIT method I try:

5 minute warm up 4.1 speed

1 minute run 6.2 speed (ZERO INCLINE)

1 minute run 8.5 speed (ZERO INCLINE)

5 Minute cool down 4.1 speed

I complete the one minute cycles for a 30 minute session, 1 minute run, and 1 minute sprint, this will really be rough, but you will feel awesome after completeing it.

I wanna hear feedback to see if anybody tried this, and how they liked it.:cool:
Steeldragon
Steeldragon
Canada
2007/12/23, 02:25 PM
question for you all, im very over weight 6'2" and 370lbs my problem with cardio is an old injury to my left leg that prevents me from walking long distances,most times i use a cane to get around so what kind of cardio can you suggest that i use. I really want to lose this weight so all advise is used if its good.
thank you
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/12/24, 07:42 AM
recumbent bike or elliptical trainer. Both of those will allow you to move without impact.
ccspicy
ccspicy
United States
2007/12/27, 03:04 PM
I used to do the walking lunges on the treadmill while slowing it down and increasing the incline...this was a killer leg workout! CC :big_smile:

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Got up and headed straight for the gym this morning - antsy to try out a new cardio routine (thanks, Nadine :) )...

Did this:

PROGRAM #2
Instructions: This exercise is set up on the treadmill. Be sure to wear running shoes or cross trainers for this cycle. Take long strides and squeeze your butt with each step. If performed properly your hips, hamstrings and gluteus will be fatigued at the end. The cycle involves a powerful walk, an interval of alternating lunges, and a brisk jog. Choose a pace that is challenging yet still allows you to stay within a safe walking stride for the walking and jogging intervals. The jogging pace should be at least 2 points higher than the walk The intervals are as follows: You walk for 2 minutes. Jump off the treadmill leaving it run, and do alternating lunges for 30 seconds. Get back on the treadmill and with the next 30 seconds, set your pace and begin jogging on the minute for 2 minutes.
CYCLE
MINUTES STRIDE
0:00 - 5:00 Walking
5:00 - 5:30 Lunges
6:00 - 8:00 Jogging
8:00 - 10:00 Walking
10:00 - 10:30 Lunges
11:00 - 13:00 Jogging
13:00 - 15:00 Walking
15:00 - 15:30 Lunges
16:00 - 18:00 Jogging
18:00 - 20:00 Walking
20:00 - 20:30 Lunges
21:00 - 30:00 Jogging

The two minute jog/run intervals after lunges, which I did plyo-style, was a killer, i sort jogged/ran/limped along and cut some of the intervals shorter because my lower legs were cramping up :) but overall it was a really good workout.
=============
warren3224
warren3224
United States
2008/04/14, 01:46 PM
Would this be considered an effective HIIT Routine?

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Here is a fun treadmill routine - it is for those days you don't have much time! 20 minutes and it gets your heart pumping!

beginners - keep your speed at 3.5, more advanced people can go up to 5 mph.

RPE = rate of perceived exertion - with 1 being no exertion at all and 10 being about to pass out :)

The speed for most people will be around 4mph, you are powerwalking but not jogging.
Your speed stays constant, the change in incline will make it harder..
Minutes Incline RPE
0:00 - 5:00 3 - 3.5 5
5:00 - 7:00 8-10 7
7:00 - 8:00 4-6 6
8:00 - 10:00 10 8
10:00 - 11:00 5-7 7
11:00 - 13:00 12 9
13:00 - 14:00 10 8
14:00 - 15:00 12 9
15:00 - 20:00 2-4 5 cooling down to 2 or 3 :)

Have fun!

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/15, 08:48 AM
Warren - this could be considered HIIT, as long as the higher ontervals really make you work hard.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/05/02, 11:18 AM
For those of you who want even more challenging cardio - check out Crossfit - lots of crazy combos. Look up Annie and give it a whirl!
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/05/02, 03:50 PM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

For those of you who want even more challenging cardio - check out Crossfit - lots of crazy combos. Look up Annie and give it a whirl!
=============

Warning... they can be brutal! Annie is ....

Double unders (jump rope going under twice on one jump)
then situps

you alternate and do the following sets
50-40-30-20-10
so thats 50 double unders then 50 sit ups... then 40 DU and 40 SU... :cool: will be sweating I almost puked on Monday when I did it!

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
fourboysandus
fourboysandus
Canada
2008/05/20, 09:28 PM
any suggestions for those of us with out workout equipment at home, and no gym membership?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/05/21, 08:02 AM
fourboysandus - do a google search on 'no equipment workout' or 'cardio no equipment' there are tons of options. In this thread, georgiagirl posted a routine with no equipment (read through, you will find it) and many of the crossfit routines can be done with very little equipment - your legs are great cardio equipment - use them to walk, run, skip, hop, jump.... add a jumprope and you have even more options.

For a quick total body routine - do 5 sets of 10 burpees:)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

pagankathy
pagankathy
United States
2008/07/28, 09:46 PM
I just had my second baby and I went back to exercising....well I go spining M,T, Th,F for an hour and I weight lift on M, W, S, Su (different areas) and I eat moderatly. I do not keep junk in the house but I eat rice. How long will it take to see results. I know that every body is different, but I would like to have encouragement.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/28, 09:49 PM
generally women see results in 6-8 weeks, but everyone is different. Your body can take up to 18 months to recover hormonally from pregnancy and childbirth, so it may take longer, keep focusing on the side benefits like more energy, better health and the weight loss will come.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

becundo
becundo
United States
2009/06/18, 02:52 PM
I was wondering if there is any specific cardio training for burning belly fat
oz1
oz1
United States
2009/07/12, 01:49 PM
I use dice for workouts all the time! I have a 20 sided die that I will roll 3 different times to give me my sets, reps and how many different exercises I will do!! I try to do diiferent exercises too, meaning if I roll 10 sets - 8 reps - 18 exercises if I will use different ab exercises instead of just a crunch or whatever, I get good workouts doing this!!
Francetic
Francetic
Canada
2009/11/04, 04:46 AM
good one put on motocross or supercross and some awesome music and run,or, ride hard for 35-45 mins its fun if you like watching MX and i have the 4 last seasons of mx on my computer motocross and supercross