Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

I found my solution - overeater

Denovas
Denovas
United States
2007/05/18, 03:37 PM
I thought that I might share this little solution to help with overeating. I find that I naturally get full very quickly, and yet I still keep eating, even after I KNOW that I am full. It took me a while to figure out why I keep doing this: When I have a plate of food I automatically save for last those things that I like best which pushes me to finish the plate because I want to eat the thing(s) that I like. Looking back, I have been doing this since I was a small child. Now that I am aware of it I make an effort to eat those things that I like the most first, and then when I am full I stop without feeling like I am missing something. Fortunately for me I enjoy many veggies and other things, so I do get a balanced meal in while still eating much less then I use to.
So maybe this might help someone else, I don't know. Just wanted to share.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/22, 09:30 PM
That is a great idea, thank you for sharing that as it is most times the small changes we make that impact us the most! Thank you!:big_smile:
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 09:43 PM
Another thing I've learned is that it takes your brain about 20 minutes to realize that you are full. I'll eat a small portion and if I still feel hungry, I'll wait. Most times I'll realize that I am satisfied, but if not, I'll eat something like a cucumber to fill me up a bit more.
MLCurtin
MLCurtin
United States
2007/08/21, 10:59 AM
I eat my dinner on a lunch size plate, that way I don't eat too much. Remember...you don't have to be a member of the "Clean Plate Club"!!

MLCurtin
MLCurtin
United States
2007/08/21, 11:00 AM
I eat my dinner on a lunch size plate, that way I don't eat too much. Remember...you don't have to be a member of the "Clean Plate Club"!!

immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/09/19, 02:51 PM
The only way I've found to have even the remotest semblance of control over maintaining healthy eating (ie, not compulsively eating wonderful ravenously) for any given length of time is to become conscious of how different it feels to not be stuffed, slow, and tired; but to feel internally clean, not hungry, and energetic.

Actually becoming conscious of how different this feels might make a difference for some. That few minutes of enjoyment the big, chocolaty/sugary/etc snack gives you becomes paltry in comparison to that clean, energetic feeling you can maintain all day with water and healthy snacks or small extra meal Much different in the face of how stuffed and tired you feel after overeating

This might seem basic for those who find dietary regiments easy, but I figured I'd share my perspective for those who also have food issues.

--------------
This is SPARTA!!!
severrin
severrin
United States
2007/09/25, 07:11 AM
Chocolaty.... sugary..... mmmmmmm hahahah just kidding.
But just to mention it 70-85% cocoa chocolate is very healthy for you and green and blacks brand doesn't have a lot of refined sugars.

Another thing I've found, is lettuce! A LOT AND LOT OF LETTUCE. I started out eating almost FOUR heads of lettuce a day because I was dealing with "hunger pains" so I ate straight plain lettuce if I was feeling hungry very low on calories,and bananas are a dense food to me anyways so I eat a banana and it feels heavy in my tummy. :)
EmmaAppeared
EmmaAppeared
United States
2008/01/09, 02:13 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, as I am new here, but I have also heard that if you brush your teeth after you know you are full it helps stop cravings for more food. I have a very bad overeating problem and even worse control problem when it comes to ice cream. I tried this once and it did help a little. I think most of my problem is psychological though so maybe this would help other people more.
Envied
Envied
United States
2010/04/11, 07:27 PM
Great idea! Thanks!
naziangel
naziangel
United States
2010/12/26, 11:16 PM
hey. i'm an overeater,too. 90% of the time i eat ultra clean and these are the days when my body is model thin and at its leanest. but around my period ( or 14 days before it starts)i feel like eating everything i see! its crazy. i start eating every kinds of food, healthy, junky, mostly carbs, carbs, carbs. and i can't help it. been trying to fight this disaster but.my hormones go completely out of whack :(

============
Quoting from denovas:

I thought that I might share this little solution to help with overeating. I find that I naturally get full very quickly, and yet I still keep eating, even after I KNOW that I am full. It took me a while to figure out why I keep doing this: When I have a plate of food I automatically save for last those things that I like best which pushes me to finish the plate because I want to eat the thing(s) that I like. Looking back, I have been doing this since I was a small child. Now that I am aware of it I make an effort to eat those things that I like the most first, and then when I am full I stop without feeling like I am missing something. Fortunately for me I enjoy many veggies and other things, so I do get a balanced meal in while still eating much less then I use to.
So maybe this might help someone else, I don't know. Just wanted to share.
=============

--------------
My feet are hurting. from kicking so much a**..
marychuy
marychuy
United States
2011/01/22, 10:27 PM
This are all great ideas, thanks!
got_a_secret
got_a_secret
United States
2011/02/22, 02:08 AM
I'm an over eater and emotional eater. I find that calming down, chewing slowly, putting my fork down between bites, and taking a sip of water between each bite are all very helpful things. It will all make you feel full faster and you will actually notice it instead of eating too fast to recognize the feeling =)