Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

I'm going off junk food cold turkey

Josephus
Josephus
United States
2007/04/09, 11:52 AM
I'm going off junk food cold turkey....I hope this is a good thing to do. The only reason I eat it is because of emotional reasons so I need to do something else when I'm running on my emotions. Please tell me if going completely off junk food is a good and healthy thing to do.

Thank you
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/04/09, 03:01 PM
1. Do your shopping every week. Make it a regular habit to do your groceries every single week on the same day.

2. Make a shopping list on the computer with all the regular foods that you buy, to ensure that you aren't going to run out of food at the end of the week, tempting you to reach for the fast food pamphlet, running out for take-away or buying unnecessary food items.

3. Don't starve yourself !!!!!!! Eat 6 small meals instead of 3 large ones, snacking on healthy foods such as a fat burning apple, protein packed, metabolism raising light salad with boiled eggs and flaxseed oil dressing.

4. Make food your hobby. Join a cookery class. There are often many community classes that you can enroll in inexpensively to learn how to prepare interesting food or better yet check out the recipe forum here, there are tons of great recipes for healthy eating.

5. Unplug the TV at the point. You will be less likely to sit there and watch it aimlessly if you have to make a conscious effort to turn it on. Particularly around 6-8 pm, the junk food restaurants will advertise, watch a DVD during these times if you must watch television or better yet, go for a walk, weather permitting.

6. Try one of the delicious tasting smoothie recipes in the diet forum or eating a chocolate, peanut butter flavored protein bar if you are feeling the need for junk food.

7. When eating out. Avoid the restaurants with the all-you-can-eat option. These restaurants unfortunately encourage people to eat until they are bloated.

--------------
Bettia

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open." - Lord Thomas Dewar
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/04/09, 07:34 PM
YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO HAVE COMFIRMATION??? OF COURSE STOP EATING JUNK IS HEALTHY

--------------
Jason Fox 6\\\\\'1\\\\\" 376 lbs-personal records- DL-315x1, BOR-235x5, Bench-225x2, One Arm rows 95x8, Military-205x3, squats-285x3
Problems are only opportunities in work clothes-Henry J. Kaiser
The only person\\\\\'s opinion that matters is the person in the mirror.-Original
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/09, 10:32 PM
============
Quoting from Josephus:

Please tell me if going completely off junk food is a good and healthy thing to do.

=============

Only if you replace it with healthy food and define "junk food."

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
Josephus
Josephus
United States
2007/04/10, 09:21 AM
Junk food=chocolate, cake, chips, pretty much any food that gives me pleasure with little or no nutritional value.

Thanks fo the advice, the only problem is I don't do the grocery shopping :(

I'll try I'll try I'll try I'll try and I WILL BE COMMITTED.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/10, 09:25 AM
Make a list and send it with the person who does the grocery shopping. Maybe they'll join the Junk The Junk Food Juggernaut!

t

--------------

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2007/04/10, 07:22 PM
Good for you man, I hope it works out for you
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/04/10, 07:49 PM
IN THE GREAT IMMORTAL WORD OF YODA:
DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY
Josephus
Josephus
United States
2007/04/11, 10:32 AM
I HATE SOLID 8 0Z CHOCOLATE EASTER BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I only ate half of it which still happens to be 600 calories and a buttload of fat grams. I went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over my quota of fat grams :(
Maybe today will be better.
uncreativename
uncreativename
United States
2007/04/21, 01:46 AM
I'm no expert but I always believed in moderation. Eating a little bit of junk food once in awhile won't hurt. If truly enjoy eating junk food then I would say it's healthy to indulge every now and then but if it's used as an emotional crutch then I wouldn't think it's worth it.
swindled
swindled
Canada
2007/07/16, 06:26 PM
been there...tried it...didn't work. I agree with uncreativename, if you go cold turkey you are setting yourself up for failure. Instead go all week without junk food then on saturday, indulge yourself a little, but only a little. A piece of cake, or the ear off that chocolate bunny.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/07/16, 06:50 PM
Keep in mind that everyone is different. Some can go cold turkey, others can't. What works for you, may not work for others. Sometimes it boils down to how bad do you want your goal. I've also noticed 'but only a little' can become relative.

--------------

\"He may be gone, but Sanjaya proved that it doesn\'t matter how talented you are - if you believe in yourself, you can annoy literally millions of people.\" Jimmy Kimmel
onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2007/08/08, 11:23 PM
Josephus- the question is if you really want to get fit. Think of the junk food as the enemy and a hinderance to your ultimate goal. I am an emotional eater too. But when it comes down to it, the taste passes and all you have left if empty calories and a buttload of fat grams. If you are the type to need something in your mouth all the time try drinking splenda ice teas or putting lemon in your water. Its really hard to break bad habits because you are so used to eating junk for most of our lives so start one day at a time and slowly change it. Reach for a piece of fruit if you crave something and definitely dont want tv since it does cause emotional bingeing for some=) me. Write down a list of why you want this so bad and possible snacks that tastes equally good and put it on the fridge or with you. Swindled is right, indulge once in a while, maybe once a week and move on. Tracking all that you eat helps to to make sure you don't go overboard.