Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Negatives?

jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2007/04/02, 11:04 AM
Hey I'm not sure if they are called negatives or not, but if you were doing 4 sets while increasing the weight with each set, and on the third or fourth you decrease the weight going back to the starting weight in order to do a higer number of reps. So not sure what that is called or not but how bad is that to do?

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/04/02, 03:12 PM
That is called a pyramid I believe. I don't think they're bad to do, and everything can have its place in a workout scheme overtime. Why do you feel that you need to reduce the weight and do higher reps?

Negatives: for example you load up a barbell with 110% of your 1 rep max for bench. Get a spotter, you lower the weight to your chest slowly and the spotter helps you lift it back up. You are doing the negative part of the lift.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/04/02, 03:19 PM
pyramid is one of the safest easiest ways to workout. best for a beg. imo

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2007/04/02, 06:25 PM
ecle5c- i guess i try to do it because i want to increase my strength gains also my definition, but since i have a horrible right shoulder i find that if i keep increasing the weight for all 4 sets i won't be able to complete my whole routine for the day.
big- how long should one stay with the pyramid idea or should i switch it up with something else too?

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/04/03, 08:32 AM
You don't necessarily have to increase the weight after every set, there are many times I'll leave the weight the same between my 3rd and 4th set because I know I can only do a certain number with good form.

If your shoulder can handle it I'd recommend sticking with the same rather than decreasing weight.

big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/04/04, 11:02 AM
I always lift my way up to my heaviest set and then back the weight off a little bit so that I can really finish the muscle off. Of course that's after going two or three reps past failure on my heaviest set, so I can't even lift that much on my next set without taking a 5 minute rest. so I lower the weight and keep going and keep working the muscle.