Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

front arm pain..weird

poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/03/14, 09:53 AM
I've been doing bicep curls for quite awhile with 10,12,15 lb dumbells. Now my arms are in pain when I do them from my wrist up to the middle of my arm. They really hurt when I try to do reverse wrist curls too which btw, do women really need to do these? Am I lifting too much weight and should I give it yet another month of rest?

--------------
Grumpy: Angel, ha! She\'s a female! And all females is poison! They\'re full of wicked wiles!
Bashful: What are wicked wiles?
Grumpy: I don\'t know, but I\'m agin\' \'em.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/14, 10:01 AM
how many reps are you doing at those weights, and it may be a matter of your wrist strength needing a boost trying a wrist curl (laying arms flat on bench with hands hanging off using a barbell or dumbell hold it over the ledge and curl it up back towards you with palms facing down)
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/03/15, 11:50 AM
I used to get this...it's like tennis elbow. Get one of these and use it during your training.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=182353

It applies pressure along those tendons in the forearm to keep them in alignment. Eventually your forearm will get stronger and you won't need it. If it continues then see a Dr.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/03/15, 11:55 AM
Also I actually know how and when mine happened...when I was doing Clean and Press...about the time I got it up to chin level my left hand lost it's grip and before I was able to catch it my right wrist twisted rather abruptly about 30 degrees.

The injury is fairly minor but left untreated ad continuing to put pressure on it can require surgery in the long run. So be careful.
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/04/06, 04:26 PM
Yes, give it a rest, stretch, and ice.

I got a nasty case of tennis elbow from doing too many push-ups around '02. It started in the right and moved to the left. I did everything I had in my arsenal (I'm a PT). I even got a steroid injection (will never do that again). Nothing worked and I gave up on lifting, did only cardio, and limited my push-ups. They still hurt. I finally resigned myself to having permanent pain. Surprisingly, it went away last year.

I started lifting again in Sep with the mantra of go slow and don't hurt myself. So far the elbows are holding as well as the shoulder (that's another story).

Try some weight bearing on a therapy ball, shift your weight over your outstretched arms with palms on floor in various positions. It might help with some motor activity without irritating them too much.

Remember to ice!
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/04/25, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just want to make sure we're talking about the right area...it's right where a nurse puts a needle when she's drawing blood. And thats exactly what it feels like...I'm having blood drawn all day long. Yuck. And I WILL ICE! thanks all and sstump, checking out that link now.
pa

--------------
Grumpy: Angel, ha! She\'s a female! And all females is poison! They\'re full of wicked wiles!
Grumpy: I don\'t know, but I\'m agin\' \'em.
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/06/05, 07:58 PM
well here it is June 6th and I finally went to the doctor two weeks ago. Tendonitis. Totally sucks. I have it really bad on the right arm and mild on the left. The Doc gave me a cortisone shot and told me to rest it which is impossible. It feels good now since the shot but that just covers up the pain. I'm trying to wear a sling when I can to rest it. No more bicep curls for a month. I hope my muscles don't peeter out in my arms.

--------------
Grumpy: Angel, ha! She's a female! And all females is poison! They're full of wicked wiles!
Grumpy: I don't know, but I'm agin' 'em.
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/06/06, 12:45 PM
I'm dealing with a little tendonitis myself. Can't really palpate an area of tenderness. Worse with wrist supination and hammer curls. I can barely get the dumbells in place to do chest work. I have a medical appointment next week.

I think I overdid the dumbells when I transitioned off the cable weights to free weights. I just don't want to quit right now. Maybe I need to just go back to the Nautilus.

I thought it would be my shoulder to act up...not my forearm. Kip

Good to hear from you again, poison-a
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/06/06, 03:53 PM
is it old age or am I fallin' apart before 50???? YIKES!
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/06/07, 01:01 PM
Are you talking to me or about me?:angry::laugh::angry:
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/06/07, 02:37 PM
never! I seriously feel like my body is falling apart. If it's not one thing, it's another. Oh well. I'm worse then some and alot better than others so I consider myself blessed. Good attitude eh?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/06/07, 03:30 PM
I highly recommend you go and get some physical therapy done! Resting it may actually make it worse, you need to keep blood flowing into the area. Think about things your doing that may be aggrevating it and correct it. I blame my shoulder tendonitis on age...well that and possible bad form while doing various activities:( My latest flare up was due to a poor swimming stroke..got that corrected and the shoulder now feels much better.
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/06/07, 04:25 PM
the doc said she'd send me to physical therapy but I declined...for now anyway. She said rest and that's what I'm trying to do. Too bad I can't do things with my left hand/arm as well as with my right. It feels good right now but then that cord. shot helped..oh, and the drugs :D
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/06/08, 08:56 AM
Personally , I think you're doing yourself a great diservice by not going for physical therapy. The shots are simply a quick fix that will not cure the problem and rest will just allow more tightening of the area and not help increase blood flow. It'll become a chronic problem. I know...I've been there:(
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/06/08, 12:54 PM
I personally would see myself before I get a shot. If you choose to rest, by all means, stretch! A PT like me might at least give you some advice on what you can do at home.
poisonapple
poisonapple
United States
2007/06/08, 04:08 PM
I totally agree on the quick fix flyonthewall. I actually did arm weights yesterday at the gym as I wasn't feeling any pain. Still though, I should give it a good month of rest. I do stretch the arms however and still do shoulder work. We have pt's at the gym I belong to and he says 'just go drink some beer'..hehe
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/08/09, 12:55 PM
Just got my internet back on. I gave myself a 2-week rest in Jun and started back in July doing Nautilus. Just a little forearm discomfort but a whole lot better.

Oddly enough, my shoulder pain went away. Best it's felt in years.

Unfortunately, my appetite returned and I gained a bit of weight back. Need to get back on the wagon!:laugh:

How's your arm P-A?