Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

protein intake

switchfoot7
switchfoot7
Canada
2007/02/12, 11:27 AM
i've been working out 5 days a week since january doing a program from here. i used to mainly do cardio but now i've been doing way more weight lifting. i've been gaining muscle but would like to lose some more fat. i'm 5'8.5" and 150 lbs. (last summer i was down to 135 but had very little muscle)

so i put the info into the nutrition plan here and it said i should eat 150g Protein, 300g Carbs, 24g Fat and 1998 Cal. each day. am i really supposed to eat this much protein and how can i do this daily without taking a powder. i would rather eat whole foods than take supplements. also, is it true that your body can only absorb up to a certain amount of protein at one time?

thanks for any help or comments!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/13, 11:36 AM
As far as only absorbing so much protein at one time - there is no real way to test that, as far as I know. Whatever your body doesn't utilize immediately goes into an amino acid pool and waits around, eventually unused protein is flushed out of your system.

I think it is definitely eaasier to get in a lot of protein if you use supplements, but you could do it without, you will just be eating a lot of chicken.

Make every meal about 30-35g protein, per 6 meals and you are right about there. (I hope my math is right, too lazy to go find my calculator right now).

That means a chicken breast, or some egg whites and lean ground beef or turkey..figure out the protein amounts of lean foods you like and come up with variations that give you the right amount for your meals.

there is a very long discussion on protein, do a search in fit buddy - I think it was called "Too much protein" or something , lots of good posts in the past on this subject.

What is the objection to supplements?

--------------

Within each of us lies the power of our consent to health and sickness, to riches and poverty, to freedom and to slavery. It is we who control these, and not another.

Richard Bach
switchfoot7
switchfoot7
Canada
2007/02/13, 01:52 PM
thanks, i will looke for those posts.

i guess i would just rather eat food than take a supplement but i think i may need some help sometimes, is there something you would suggest, perhaps for after a workout?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/13, 02:04 PM
After a workout you want some fast-asborbed protein like whey isolate and some carbs.

I make a shake with Isopure whey protein (vanilla because it blends well with almost any flavor crystal lite), I also add specific carbs.

Some ready to shake options would be Myoplex lite - it has protein and a little carbs, or Labrada Lean body light, both come in pre-measured puches, you just need a shaker and water - very convenient.

There are also lots of posts on post-workout shakes, even one recent one that states a glass of milk or chocolate milk, is just as beneficial as a protein shake.

Syntrax also makes some really tasty whey proteins in fruit flavors, and one in cappucino (my favorite)

--------------

Within each of us lies the power of our consent to health and sickness, to riches and poverty, to freedom and to slavery. It is we who control these, and not another.

Richard Bach
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/02/15, 12:49 PM
The jist of the other post on protein was that any protein not used by the body would be flushed out. On the other hand, excessive carbs would be turned into fat!!