Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Jucing??

SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2003/01/17, 05:33 PM
I've been doing quite a bit of juicing lately. I read in my recipe book for an "after workout" juice consisting of celery and apples. Apparently it says, it replaces electrolytes lost in exercise. What do you all think of this recipe? think its got any benefit to it?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/18, 02:30 AM
Just another way to get your needed fruits and vegetables.

Good idea.

Now if celery and apple replace the electrolytes..... maybe from the potassium (and sodium especially if you put a little salt in your juice). Why not?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/19, 01:48 PM
I personally prefer to liquidise lots of different types of fruit rather than eat them and liquidise rather than juice to keep more of the fibre in. My friend had a liquidiser so we decided to experiment what was nice and what was not – don’t try bean sprouts they are one of the foulest things I have ever tasted. We had a whole chart of juiceable and non-juiceable kept us amused for a worrying amount of time.

Oh and I am not sure about the recipe though sorry but it certainly cant hurt.
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2003/01/19, 05:54 PM
What's the difference between Juicing and Liquidising? Never heard of it before.
Chickie
Chickie
United States
2003/01/20, 08:45 PM
LMao that sounds like fun tests. I am curious too about a liquidise machine great ? Sandy. I know when I use my Champion there is a pile of fiber. So does the Liquidiser keep all the pulps instead of making the pile that gets tossed?
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/21, 05:51 AM
By liquidize I just use a normal blender, so non of that pulp that gets filtered out. What i get is the same as eating the fruit normally, makes it harder though things like carrot don't work to well.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/01/21, 11:47 AM
First off - the Juice Man was a little crazy. The guy spent so much time worrying about micronutrients that he forgot about macronutrients. In general, you want to steer towards non-processed foods. Juice is basically just processed fruits. The juicing process raises the glycemic index of the juice somewhat. However doing it on your own is better than buying the stuff at the store that's spiked with extra sugars. The other question - why would you want to eliminate the fiber from your fruits? Fiber's good for you. I like the idea of liquidizing stuff. When I went to Costa Rica, every restaurant would serve fresh fruit blended in water as a drink. They used everything from watermelons to mangos to bananas. And the stuff was pretty good.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
Chickie
Chickie
United States
2003/01/23, 07:01 PM
The Blender ! I feel like a fool now haha!
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2003/01/23, 08:23 PM
Well........one reason I do it is because there are certain veggies I don't like and its a good way of getting them into my body. for example.....I hate beets, but could tolerate carrot and beet juice (apparently its a liver mover) I dunno!

============
Quoting from mackfactor:

First off - the Juice Man was a little crazy. The guy spent so much time worrying about micronutrients that he forgot about macronutrients. In general, you want to steer towards non-processed foods. Juice is basically just processed fruits. The juicing process raises the glycemic index of the juice somewhat. However doing it on your own is better than buying the stuff at the store that's spiked with extra sugars. The other question - why would you want to eliminate the fiber from your fruits? Fiber's good for you. I like the idea of liquidizing stuff. When I went to Costa Rica, every restaurant would serve fresh fruit blended in water as a drink. They used everything from watermelons to mangos to bananas. And the stuff was pretty good.

=============
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/24, 04:49 AM
Beets are just foul, i have never tried them in juiced the smell makes me sick, even the thought makes me ill. YUK!
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2003/01/24, 06:32 AM
Tell me about it! (re; beets) yuck. I wanted to try it tho, because I just found out my liver isn't working to its full potential which is slowing down my metabolism (apparently), so I'm doing everything I can to help myself.
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/24, 06:47 AM
I’d rather than have the problem if that’s the cure!
Shannonjane59
Shannonjane59
United States
2003/01/27, 11:25 AM
Greetings everyone....

New here to this community ..and I as I was becoming familiar with the site I came across the posts.
I do have a bit to add about juicing/blending...etc...If you need a great blender ...to do "all" the things mentioned inprevious post....Might I suggest a "Vitamix....they are awesome . ..I understand that they are a bit pricey ...I thought so to at first....not any more....I considered the money over the long term...and with everyday use...3-4 daily..it started to make more sense.
The quality of smoothie, juice, soup..food prep that it can accomplish is simply great....
Also ...you can probably find a couple on ebay ..for less expensive....

Thanks, Shannon

--------------
Shannon

Loving what is.....
Shannonjane59
Shannonjane59
United States
2003/01/27, 11:25 AM
Greetings everyone....

New here to this community ..and I as I was becoming familiar with the site I came across the posts.
I do have a bit to add about juicing/blending...etc...If you need a great blender ...to do "all" the things mentioned inprevious post....Might I suggest a "Vitamix....they are awesome . ..I understand that they are a bit pricey ...I thought so to at first....not any more....I considered the money over the long term...and with everyday use...3-4 daily..it started to make more sense.
The quality of smoothie, juice, soup..food prep that it can accomplish is simply great....
Also ...you can probably find a couple on ebay ..for less expensive....

Thanks, Shannon

--------------
Shannon

Loving what is.....
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2003/01/27, 03:13 PM
I think that its alot better than store bought juice;
I just bought a 8oz container of 100% grape juice, it has a wopping 40g of sugar, WOW

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/01/30, 06:13 PM
Most juice bought in the store isn't even pure juice. The problem there is you've really got to check the label. The natural fructose in the fruit is listed under 'Sugar' but doesn't necessarily qualify in the way you're thinking. However, some juices add tons of non-natural sugars, as well. The only way to really know what type it is is by reading the labels. Even then, it's hard to tell how much is in there.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/20, 04:29 PM
bump