Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

The best supplement in the world- here

shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:03 PM
I am posting this- hopefully it sticks (my posts seem to keep not posting for some reason, darn server). I just read this study and will be posting it shortly on this thread. It is about a study conducted at a major university regarding initial weight loss. What it did is test to see how to determine how much weight a person could actually lose. Therefore I will submit this as the best supplement in the world to lose weight- Your attitude.

The study concluded (this is the short version in this post, the long version will follow) is that on the average the people who had the least motivation, the least drive to lose weight, or just didn't want to lose much weight, all in fact lost the lease amount of weight. Those with unrealistic goals, or had too high of expectations, all lost an average amount of weight. Who lost the most weight?

Those who had the most realistic goals and the drive to pursue them.

Oddly enough, also proven in this study was the fact that most people who tried 3 or more different diets in the past year, all fell into the unrealistic category.

How did they determine who had realistic and unrealistic goals? Based on common physics and, well, reality.

I will post the study next for you all to decipher as well.

So remember, if you are looking for the best supplement to your weight loss, look no further.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:05 PM
Background
The purpose of this study was to analyze pretreatment predictors of short-term weight loss in American overweight and obese women involved in a weight management program.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:06 PM
Methods
Subjects were 640 healthy overweight/obese women (age, 37.8 +/- 6.2 y; BMI, 31.2 +/- 3.6 kg/m2) who participated in a 4-month lifestyle weight loss program consisting of group-based behavior therapy to improve diet and increase physical activity.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:07 PM
Results
Of all starting participants, 3.5% (22 subjects) did not finish the program. By treatment's end, more than half of all women had met the recommended weight loss goals, despite a large variability in individual results (range for weight loss = 19 kg). In bivariate and multivariate correlation/regression analysis fewer previous diets and weight outcome evaluations, and self-motivation and body image were significant and independent predictors of weight reduction, before and after adjustment for baseline weight. A negative and slightly curvilinear relationship best described the association between outcome evaluations and weight change, revealing that persons with very accepting evaluations (that would accept or be happy with minimal weight change) lost the least amount of weight while positive but moderate evaluations of outcomes (i.e., neither low nor extremely demanding) were more predictive of success. Among those subjects who reported having initiated more than 3–4 diets in the year before the study, very few were found to be in the most successful group after treatment. Quality of life did not predict outcomes.

Conclusions
Several variables were confirmed as predictors of success in short-term weight loss and can be used in future hypothesis-testing studies and as a part of more evolved prediction models. Previous dieting, and pretreatment self-motivation and body image are associated with subsequent weight loss, in agreement with earlier findings in previous samples. Weight outcome evaluations appear to display a more complex relationship with treatment results and culture-specific factors may be useful in explaining this pattern of association.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:09 PM
This is not the full study notes, just simply the abstract. Anyone who would like to read the full study is welcome to message me about it and I will send it.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/01/04, 06:18 PM
email it to me, would ya? Thanks!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/05, 12:29 PM
Sounds like pretty obvious stuff. It is like anything, 'wanting' to do it but not having the will to do it will never succeed. It is like those trying to quit smoking, or any vice. If you want to bad enough, you will do it.

Normally those who jump from diet to diet are the ones who want someone to 'do it for them'. These are the ones that are preyed upon by the supplement companies that a pill will do it for them.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/05, 04:07 PM
One thing I noted odd in the study though is that even though it stated that there were those who had high expectations, they still either had the drive or didn't have the drive. They appeared to be psychologically deterred from losing the maximum amount of weight by the fact that they had too high of expectations and goals.

I think that drive is not the only factor. Yes it is an important influence on your weight loss however also is realistic goals. In other words it is important to set a goal that is a challenge- but will not require a miracle. If you shoot too high, along the way you will notice you are not making good enough progress to hit this goal, and it will pychologically cause a block in your mind.

So in my opinion, as an example, if you are trying to lose weight, and your goal is 120 lbs, make that goal "I want to lose 120 lbs. and will do what it takes to get there", and not "I want to lose 120 lbs. by vacation in 4 months, how do I get there". 1 obviously is realistic, the other is not.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/05, 04:11 PM
Also, if you note in this study, the whole point was to be able to predict weight loss results based upon a persons pyschological mindset. Note that all participants did the exact same diet, excercise, and activities. It was the actual attitude that made the difference. I think their next study is testing the blood levels for presense of "biochemical/biological" markers that could be potentially released from the body when you are motivated that may help in the process of burning energy.