Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Another reason to avoid steroids

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/05, 12:16 PM
This typically does not apply to anyone here on FT. However, in case you were considering steroids as a quick fix to boost muscle, think again....
-----

Too Much Testosterone Kills Brain Cells
2006 September 28

By Scripps Howard News Service

In a new finding that appears to confirm observations of "'roid rage" in steroid users, Yale University researchers report high levels of testosterone can result in a catastrophic loss of brain cells.

Taking large doses of androgens, or steroids, is known to cause hyper-excitability, a highly aggressive nature and suicidal tendencies. Such behavioral changes could be evidence of altered brain-cell function caused by the steroids, said Barbara Ehrlich, senior author of the study published Wednesday in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

Her Yale School of Medicine team worked with brain cells cultured in a lab setting, rather than with human subjects. However, Ehrlich said the results clearly demonstrate cells die after being treated with elevated levels of testosterone for even six to 12 hours: "We can show that when you have high levels of steroids, you have high testosterone and that can destroy the nerve cells. We know that when you lose brain cells, you lose function."

Yet other research shows boosting testosterone in older men whose levels of the hormone naturally plummet actually helps protect brain function and memory. "Too little testosterone is bad, too much is bad, but the right amount is perfect," Ehrlich said.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/05, 01:27 PM
I think this article is inappropriately titled. It does say that 'older' folks test is actually good for, and it should say that in the title somewhere, not simply another scare paper. Abuse is of course the means to write this stuff.

Tons of men suffer from hypogonadism, both primary and secondary. In fact you do not have to be 'old' for this. Many even in their teens have this problem.

The object here is hormonal balance. Anything over this is a cycle, thus steroid abuse.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/05, 03:26 PM
I believe what's meant by the title is an extreme and drastic, prolonged increase in testosterone. I still see slightly higher test levels as a good thing. I'd rather be on the high side (although not with steroids) than low as the health complications seem to be much less severe.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Elantraa
Elantraa
United States
2006/10/06, 04:38 PM
Interesting article, i will say that when i was taking m1-t it was harder for me to remember things, i had to try a little bit harder and did feel that i was getn dumber, A week after I got of of it i started feeling like i was thinkn faster again and even baught some ginko biloba to help my memory, i feel good now in that respect but odd experience and i had no idea that that was a side effect. It could also be that since m1-t is highly toxic, the extra stress on the system impairs memory as well, so theres a few other factors to be taken into consideration.

Id like it if they actually said how much of and which steroids they used in their studies where individuals reported feeling much more aggressive and having suicidal tendencies...personally i think steroids done in small doses dont cause such reactions in most people, maybe in people who are already agressive to begin with it would aggravate it, but otherwise i guess i cant say much since im not a user. However i did not experience increased aggression or suicidal thoughts on m1-t.