Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Diet Soda Question

Awz
Awz
United States
2002/09/17, 12:00 PM
I was wndering what is the big deal with diet soda, there seems to be nothing in it, it says there is no carbs calories etc... I am trying to maintain my current weight and I do a 5mile walk through the desert every morning it takes about 80 mins, is that a good cardio? But i also have 3 or 4 diet 7up's throughout the day, is that bad, will it cause any sort of weight gain?
Thanks Jerald
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/17, 12:35 PM
The only thing you have to fear at all from a diet soda is some are pretty sodium laced. Check out the sodium content. Other than that, you are right to not be concerned. Even us who are training for competitions enjoy a diet soda. Your walk as far as cardio is great exercise, but will you burn body fat, probably not. That is a componenet of getting the heart rate elevated into a fat burning mode. On the other hand, it may keep your weight where it is, at least you will not gain! (that is if your diet is pretty reasonable)Best of luck...
LynPag
LynPag
United States
2002/09/23, 08:56 PM
If you are having a hard time giving up soda, try a can of lemon/lime or other flavored seltzer water. It's not the same, but there is nothing in there but the bubbles (and even most store brands have natural flavoring).
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/09/24, 02:33 AM
Another prob with those diet pops is that you still got the sweet taste in your mouth. No not many calories but you can still get sugar cravings from the "false" sugar.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/24, 10:38 AM
Philia2...good point. Didn't think about that.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2002/10/17, 04:01 PM
Diet soda is generally sweetened by aspartame which has no caloric value because (like sweeteners such as stevia and Splenda) it does not get absorbed by the intestine, I believe. One detrimental aspect of soda in general is the acidity. Honestly, though, I'm not entirely sure how that affects you, but I can say that most soda has a PH below 3.5, making it acidic. A lot of other things do too, citric acid for example, but I read somewheres that if you leave a nail in a can of Coke, it dissolves within 5 days. And that certainly can't be good for you. Also the caffeine in soda is a diuretic, meaning it expels water from your body and makes you more thirsty.
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2002/10/17, 04:39 PM
The diet pop is fine. Just remember "MODERATION"
One thing you should be concerned with is the "ASPARTAME"
Just type it in the search line on the net-you will see why?
Walking is good, make sure its a fast/intense walk, carry a weighted day pack and dumbells if you want more out of it.

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
regardlessgirl
regardlessgirl
United States
2002/10/30, 03:41 PM
Actually I am a HUGE addict of Diet Coke. I have been told by my dentist it is a bad habit. It will cause havoc on your teeth. It has to do with the carbonation not the sugar.. suprised me. I am still an addict and haven't cut it out yet. I am thinking mine is more of a caffine addiction and not about the sweetness craving.
fowkes
fowkes
United States
2002/11/06, 10:28 AM
Try Diet Rite fruit flavored diet soda. Ex: rasberry flavored. It has no aspartame, sugar, sodium etc. Nothing in it at all. It tastes good.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/11/06, 04:13 PM
If i want that sparkling drink with extra flavour, I take a perrier or soda water and add a tsp of vanilla. Almost like a diet coke with out the chemicals.

No Aspartame.

--------------
To change it, or to create it, simply train it!
borpillicus
borpillicus
Canada
2005/07/04, 01:59 AM
I hate ressurecting such an old post, but that is a great idea Carivan. I have been craving soda badly the last couple weeks and have found myself drinking diet sodas far more regularly then I ever have. I was worried about all the junk that comes with them (sodium, apartame).

You saved my teeth!

On another note about diet pop. I found that a few diet sodas can leave you very bloated looking. Not a pretty sight.

--------------
Lift. Eat. Rest. Gain.

~Brad~
fox0311
fox0311
United States
2009/10/03, 07:54 AM
I read an article while in a waiting room somewhere a few years ago that showed all the myths/facts about soda and diet soda. The dissolving a nail in a few days thing is a myth, however it will clean any residue or carbon off the nail (we used a can of coke in the Marines to clean our Mortar Tubes) and I think Mythbusters busted that myth as well.

I am a diet soda addict and have been trying to quit for a while. I drink at least a couple liters a day. Water does not make me feel as good as a Diet Mtn Dew unless its after a workout. I have tried drinking Diet Rite and Crystal Light and they taste very strange to me.

O and my teeth are great, but I also brush twice a day.

I think the sodium/aspartame content is the worst thing about a diet soda. I think it also makes you retain fluid in your body.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/10/03, 01:00 PM
The artificial sweetners are not processed by our bodies and can and do weird things to our hormones. The glucose fructose or corn syruo in other products turns in to fat in our bodies. So, I found an organic drink in the shelf under the brand name "Sprizer" which is made with natural sugar cane juice. I wouldn't go drinking them all the time, but occasionaly and better for our system.
This is an old post for sure.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)