Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

How To Get Rid Of The Last Layer Of Fat?

dart368
dart368
United States
2006/08/17, 12:43 AM
I have made so much progress in my venture to attain a muscular body and lose the fat. I really used to be pretty overweight and with hardly any definition showing on my 208 pound body.

Now, the place that my fat shows the most is my lower stomach (Of course). My abs show but it is through about a 1/2 inch layer of fat (That is when you push your finger straight into the stomach). And of course, I have those stupid "Love Handles" that everybody hates. They don't protrude too much but they are noticable especially to me in the mirror.

So here's what I have been doing for the past 8 months except of course I change up my weight lifting exercises after a couple of weeks:

I lift weights 5 days a week doing 4 sets and 10-16 reps of the following:

Mon Legs (Just started This Month)
Tue Pull ups and chest
Wed Shoulders and biceps
Thu Triceps and Pull ups
Fri Shoulders and biceps

The reason I do shoulders and biceps two days a week is because I feel those two parts are my weakest.

About 3 days a week, I run 5-6 miles. On one of those days at least, I do H.I.I.T. sprint/runs for 3 miles and jog the other two.

For my diet, I eat the following:

5am Bowl of life cereal with non-fat milk 200 calories
8am Peanut butter/chocolate Zone bar 210 calories
11am Lean Cuisine frozen dinner 210 calories or turkey Burger Calories-Unknown
2pm Low Fat peach yogurt 220 calories
5:30pm Low fat dinner made by wife Calories-unknown
8:30pm Small snack like peanut butter crackers or Zone bar 210 calories.

This gives me about 1700-1900 calories a day. Of course, on the weekends, I usually cheat a little bit with some type of dinner or lunch at Chevys, Fresh Choice or some other restaurant. It is usually a larger portion and not really sugary junk.

I am 43 years old, 5'5" and 183-186 pounds with a 47" chest and about a 35" waist. I just want to lose that last layer of fat. Any suggestions from the body builder's who lose it for competitions?

Thanks.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/17, 08:46 AM
Sounds like your taking in to many fat and carbs...the peanut butter crackers befor bed can't be good,the yogurt could be high in carbs and sugar,even though the calories are low.Your diet sounds healthy and seem's to be working for you so far...but the belly fat will come from your diet.You can cut down your calories all you want...but if your carb and fat content is to high...you should get used to your belly...it's gonna hang around for awhile.I know I will always have my tummy....I am unwilling to eat the way I need to to get rid of it.I convince myself it's really kinda cute!:)(delusion can be a wonderful friend)
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/08/17, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply KC and I am sure your tummy is cute as I have nothing against tummies...unless it is on me. :)

I guess I assumed that my body needed the carbs for building the muscle, especially after my workouts. I also heard/read that peanut butter was loaded with good fats that is benificial to the body, building muscle and losing weight. Same with the yogurt according to Men's Health magazine. But I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I am eating too much like you said of that stuff or maybe I am eating at the wrong times. Or, maybe just being 43 years old, it is going to take longer. I guess I am just getting desparate. I am open to any more advice though...please! Thanks. :big_smile:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/18, 07:01 AM
dart - increase your lean protein intake - lean cuisine meals don't have enough protein for a small woman, so they definitely don't have enough protein for you. Ask your wife to make extra xhicken breasts or fish everytime she makes dinner and you can bring a chicken breast to work to have with your lean cuisine meal.

If you want to drop more fat...
You need to up the weights and lower the reps. Work harder. Running is good, but may be keeping you from builind muscle. try to seperate your running and weightlifting by 4=8 hours if it isn't possible to do them on different days. That means running early and lifting late, or vice versa.

Increase your intake of fibrous vegetables - add a baggie of cut-up veggies to most meals.

switch your morning meal to a higher fiber cereal or oatmeal and add some protein to that meal - egg whites or a protein shake.

2 pm - lets see a chicken breast and some veggies or a protein shake instead of the yogurt. less sugary carbs and more protein.

How much protein in a zone bar? You might want to switch to a higher protein bar or make this another mini-meal - chcicken breast salad maybe.

It also looks like maybe you are taking in too few calories, your body won't build muscle or drop fat if there is too large of a calorie deficit. It looks like you are under 1800 calories on your plan above. Boost your intake with extra protein, as suggested, and more vegetables.

Oh, a small bowl of lowfat cottage cheese with ground flaxseeds in it before bedtime may help as well.

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/18, 07:04 AM
Oh, sorry. the peanut butter is good for you. make sure you buy a natural brand, no sugar added and have it with apple slices or celery sticks if it is later in the day, or with toast in the morning. your toast should be a high fiber, all whole wheat type of bread.

See if making the changes suggested above help, and then we can tweak it further.

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/08/18, 11:53 PM
WOW!!! Awesome advice. I have been going by the caloric intake that I got from this website and from Men's Health Magazine but it does seem to be a bit low.

My wife makes mostly chicken dishes but tonight, she made shrimp with olive oil (Not fried but sauted) and whole grain brown rice and a salad with low fat dressing drizzled on.

What you said makes sense, get more calories from protien in my meals. I guess I heard that the low fat yogurt is good for you and I get it free at work but you are probably right and I have heard that before from someone else about it being high in sugar.

Let me see how I can make some changes. I really appreciate your advice.